• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 168gr Amax @ 1000yds

Suasponte

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Shot 168 Amax's out to 1K this sunday. My load was Hornday Match Brass, 44gr RE15, Wolf Primers, seated to 2.90". Rifle was a Savage 10FP with a MK 4 Leupold, and a rifle basix trigger set to 1.5lb. Pills was chrono'd at 2650fps and below is the range card that checked out to 1k.

rangecard.jpg

Picture from 1K firing line!
9-9-124.jpg

1k Target 37.5moa dialed on scope.
9-9-121.jpg

9-9-122.jpg

9-9-123.jpg

Fired 18 rounds at 1K with this load. First round I had 38moa on and hit at 2oclock on the 8 ring 1/2". If you look close at the full size pict you can see it, they pulled the spotter as it was my 1st round getting on target.
grin.gif

The spotter at 6oclock in the 9ring has 3 round on the disk. Kept it for the man room.
wink.gif
Almost shot the spotter peg out, bullet just touched the golf tee.

1Kspotter.jpg

The guys in the pit reported that there was still a sonic crack when they went overhead.

A buddy also shot 168 Amax's out of his Remmy. I beleive he loaded 42.5gr RE15, Federal primers, and federal brass. His come up was 13.6 mil on his scope. Below is his target at 1k with 15 shots.

9-9-125.jpg

Extremely happy with the results of the 168 Amax at 1K. Not to mention that it hold sub 1in to 300m and 1.5 out to 500m. Love those red tips!

Terry

Re: Hornady 168gr Amax @ 1000yds

That rocks! Congrats. + that range looks familiar. Have you posted it before?? P.s. DAMN FINE SHOOTING

Also, got four Hide members going out to 1K now. Any other guys in the Pittsburgh area that wants to go shoot PM me and your welcome to come stretch the legs on that rifle.

The one guy yesterday just realized I was the SS media contact he talked to over a year ago! Small world.

We are working on getting a bucnh of steel targets set up to shoot also.

Not only is there a 1K range with target pits, there is a shooting platform on top of the hill made of 8 shipping containets that over looks the valley with 1 mile steel shots possible.

DSC04469.jpg

Looking off the platform with a little Snipers Hide promo!
wink.gif

He's a ugly F#%* so will just show the back! You know who you are!!
eek.gif

DSC04473.jpg

Looking down the other valley.
DSC04477.jpg

Hope to get some imapct areas cleared later this year and some steel at unknown diatances.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That rocks! Congrats. + that range looks familiar. Have you posted it before?? P.s. DAMN FINE SHOOTING </div></div>

Yes, posted it in a Fathers day post I did I think.
Great range and I am damn happy to have it close by to go shoot at.
The other club I belong to has targets out to 600m, but 1K is more fun.

It's like going to the prom and actually getting in her dress!
grin.gif

Terry

Next trip I plan on dialing 37.75moa and it should barring the conditions keep me up in the 10ring.

Mark if your reading this post, this is the factory barrel you set back, rechambered, and recrowned. Barrel shoots good for 2500+ round down it.

Terry

I've been saying for years now that the 168gr A-MAX bullets are good past 1,000 yards with a bunch of naysayers claiming they don't work. Happy to see someone backing my results up.

My old standard 168gr A-MAX load is 2,735fps at the muzzle of my factory 5R milspec, R&P brass, 43.1gr of H4895 and Wolf LR primers. This is a near max. load for my 5R milspec and it only works reliably because H4895 is fairly temperature stable. I also load IMR4895 with the 168gr A-MAX for an extra 20-30fps but IMR4895 is not as temperature stable requiring close attention to temp and DA DOPE for those first round hits. I prefer H4895 for it's stability but I have many pounds of IMR4895 which works very well if you have good DOPE on hand.

HTH!