• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 178g BTHP in a 1:12 twist problems?

Bear24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2012
Oklahoma
I have been fighting this for a month or so now in my 308win. I am trying to work up a load for the 178g BTHP and I just can't get them to shoot as well as the 178g AMAX. Reasoning behind this is that I have 500 of them and I am out of the AMAX and can't find them anywhere. Also I am wanting to enter some tac comps and need all the ballistic advantage I can get, shooting a 308, from the BTHP's higher BC. I can get the Amax's shooting about 1/2 MOA consistently but the BTHP are hovering a little over 1 MOA with occasional fliers that really open the groups up further.

Anyone having good luck with them out of a 1:12 twist barrel?

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe my gun just really doesn't like them.

My rifle is an FN SPR A1, 24" barrel, bedded in McMillan A5, with Vrotex Viper pst 6-24 FFP

I get mediocre results with them in my 1 in 11 twist 5R Remington. .8 MOA compared to .4 or so with BTHP.

I guess i should add that these need to be set at mag length. I think I could get the BTHP to shoot better if I loaded them closer to the lands but that Is just not useful to me in a competition setting.

I bought a box of these for my Savage (OEM barrel, 10 twist, ~6000 rounds), and they shot lights out right off the bat. They shot well on the lands, off the lands, and with about any charge of powder I put under them.

I bought 1000 more.

Shortly thereafter my barrel gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a CBI 10 twist and simply could NOT get them to shoot well...we're talking 1.5-2moa groups. I tried H4895, Varget, 8208 and RE15. I tried on the lands, I tried jumping. I gave them a really fair shake, but they were just losers in my barrel.

ETA: It wasn't because the barrel is junk. It hammers with the 155 scenar.

I shoot them to 1200 with no problems from my FN. I can't push the AMAX as fast as I can the BTHP. What's your load?

I have been fighting this for a month or so now in my 308win. I am trying to work up a load for the 178g BTHP and I just can't get them to shoot as well as the 178g AMAX. Reasoning behind this is that I have 500 of them and I am out of the AMAX and can't find them anywhere. Also I am wanting to enter some tac comps and need all the ballistic advantage I can get, shooting a 308, from the BTHP's higher BC. I can get the Amax's shooting about 1/2 MOA consistently but the BTHP are hovering a little over 1 MOA with occasional fliers that really open the groups up further.

Anyone having good luck with them out of a 1:12 twist barrel?

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe my gun just really doesn't like them.

My rifle is an FN SPR A1, 24" barrel, bedded in McMillan A5, with Vrotex Viper pst 6-24 FFP

QuietShootr, My best and most consistent load (which isn't too consistant) with them is 44.4g Varget, F210m, Federal cases loaded 2.82 coal and I'm getting around 2720 FPS. I have shot about 200 rounds of these with different combos and thats as good as I can get with varget.

I did shoot some with some Power Pro 2000MR yesterday for the first time and got one sub MOA (3shot) group with 46g. I didn't have a chrono with me so I dont know the velocity I was at. I had no pressure signs up to 47.5g but the groups opened up.

They fly well and shooting 2 moa sized targets at 400 is no problem but I need something capable of 1 MOA or preferably below.

Bear24 said:
I am out of the AMAX and can't find them anywhere. Also I am wanting to enter some tac comps and need all the ballistic advantage I can get, shooting a 308

You might wanna consider the 155 scenar.

I ran them for the first time a month or so ago and was floored with how these things fly when you launch them at 2975fps. It's a serious step up for the 308.

You might wanna consider the 155 scenar.

I ran them for the first time a month or so ago and was floored with how these things fly when you launch them at 2975fps. It's a serious step up for the 308.

I have 155g berg hybrids in the mail that should be here today or monday and HOPEFULLY they shoot well and my troubles will be solved but I would like to have the 178's as a backup since I have quite a few of them already.

What is the load you are running with the 155's?

Bear24 said:
What is the load you are running with the 155's?

I tried 46, 46.5, 47 and 47.5gr Varget, loaded to a COAL of 2.850" in Lapua brass with Tula LR primers.

All shot great, but the 46.5gr load strung a little. Not sure if that was marksmanship or load.

I only crono'd the 47.5gr load, and came up with 2975 (maybe it was 2973, can't remember) average for 5 shots. SD and ES were both low single digits. I think ES was 5. This was with a magnetospeed V2.

I had a good oppurtunity to shoot out to 1000 in some terribly windy conditions last month and was really impressed with the performance. It's not a 260 with 140s @ 2800+, but it is leaps and bounds better than a 175smk@2700.

Reactions: camocorvette
Thanks Turbo, I'm excited to get them here and get to the range with them.

How long is your barrel?