• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 208 gr ELD Tikka T3 question

Murkan Mike

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2020
Saarland Germany
I recently bought a Tikka T3x model TAC, in 300 WM. According to the German Tikka distributor this rifle has the SAKO TRG Barrel on it. I broke in the barrel, changed the 0 MOA to a 30 MOA rail, and installed a Meopta Optika scope. It shot like a fat rat with various factory ammo, and so I wanted to develop a good load for it so I can shoot it at the 1,000 meter range.

I ordered 500 Hornady 208gr ELD bullets, and was in the process of loading some test loads to try with N-160, N-165, and N-170. I scrounged around here on this site as well as others and have my loads figured out, cleaned, trimmed and primed brass. I took one stray FL resized empty case without a primer, and used it to test the bullet length in the rifle.

WOW, I can't believe it! In order for the round to fit in the magazine, the bullet has to be set so far back in the case, that the ogive is below the neck mouth. I have no idea how far this will set the bullet away from the lands, as the longest dimension is one that will fit in the mag.

I am using the original, crappy little T3 plastic hunk-of-shit magazine that came with the rifle, as I don't have the replacement floorplate and Magpul AI copy mags yet. For me they are on a very long and complicated logistics journey, and it may be many months before I have them.

I also have no idea if whenever the replacement floorplate and mags get here, if they will even be any longer. Does anyone know?

Am I the only one with this problem? Maybe I should wait until I get the replacement parts, to see if they allow a longer bullet seating, as this is very short, in my opinion. But it may be OK, has anyone encountered this before?

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this?

Attachments

• 208gr 3.JPG
    208gr 3.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 208gr 1.JPG
    208gr 1.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 208gr 2.JPG
    208gr 2.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 50