• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 224 Valkyrie brass issue

Bmghunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2020
Usa
So it's been a busy reloading day for me. Second issue of the day this time on hornady 224 Valkyrie brass.
I use the lee bench prime, works great. I have the whole set of prime shell holders. Anyways, I have both federal and Hornady brass to reload and was priming. I was trying to prime lots of brass today. The federal brass primed perfectly fine. Then I tried to prime the Hornady and the brass was loose in the shell holder. When the primer went in, this looseness made the primer go in crooked. The case was loose enough to pop out.
I took a look at the brass and tried to compare the federal and Hornady, and the difference in shown in the photo. The Hornady seem to have the rim groove cut higher. That's the only size difference and that caused issue with my priming. Anyone else have similar issues with Hornady brass? Lucky I only have 20 of them and decided to chuck them. They came from a single box of ammo.
20220120_160421.jpg

20220120_160352.jpg

I've had similar issues with Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass. Becomes obvious when trying to use a Hornady length trimmer. Some fit the shell holder perfectly, other...not so much.