• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 224 Valkyrie Match 88s are here.

Rlb40x

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
Who hoo! I finally got my hands on some Hornady Valkyrie ammo. I going to try and get the range tomorrow and see how they compare to the federal gold metal 90s.
image.jpg
image.jpg

got mine last week. seem to shoot a little better than the fed gm, so i'm using them in a match this weekend. plenty of first shot hits out to 800 yds.

from my 24" 1-7.5 twist rainier ultramatch barrel, i got 2733fps with 24 stdev and 73es over ten shots.

Reactions: Subwrx300
got mine last week. seem to shoot a little better than the fed gm, so i'm using them in a match this weekend. plenty of first shot hits out to 800 yds.

from my 24" 1-7.5 twist rainier ultramatch barrel, i got 2733fps with 24 stdev and 73es over ten shots.
I've got the 26" UM and those bullets seem to like the Rainier barrel. Handloads using Hornady brass with 25.8 CFE223 produced a .75" 9 shot group (1" with CCB shot) SD in the 16 range. Velocity is 2799 avg of 15 shots.

How long are the factory loads OAL? I've been loading mine to 2.300 with good results. Curious about the factory length. Can you post some pics of bullet/mouth junction?

I measured ten and came up with 2.249" for OAL. Chronographed five with an average of 2654, SD of 10.7 out of a 22" Bartlein by Craddock.

I measured ten and came up with 2.249" for OAL. Chronographed five with an average of 2654, SD of 10.7 out of a 22" Bartlein by Craddock.
Is there a gap between the case mouth and bullet ogive? I'm really surprised they are seated so deeply. I dont think I was able to seat then that far in without seating past ogive.

Well, I shot 40 rounds this am. Conditions were good and I had high expectations ,but I could only get it to group in the 3/4 to 1" range, nearly identical groups as the federal 75 TMJs. The point of impact was 3MOA low and 1 MOA right,compared to my federal 90s. It clocked 2714 out of my rifle. Some of the groups ended up with 3-4 shots in 1/2" range but over all it didn't shoot as good as the federal gold metal. I fired a test group of the 90s just to check and went into 1/2". Maybe I just got a bum lot#.

oal range is written on the box. should note this is i think the first ammo i've seen that is faster in my gun (24") than what's on the box!

hornady 224 valk ammo.jpg

Reactions: Subwrx300