• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 285's for 338

woodland-ghost

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
Tennessee
I'm going to try these this weekend and looking to see how high of powder charges some of y'all are using with these and the velocities your getting out of them.

Of course ill start at a lower weight, just don't want to stop to low.

Hornady lists 89.6 max for H1000 and seems a lil low at 2750 fps...I was hoping to get around 2850 with these.

I pushed them , 91.0 -H1000,215mag primer,30'' broughton tube 2877 avg velocity, This was done in cold temps(40-degrees)
at 5900 feet of elevation.

Hornady uses their own brass in that factory load pushing that bullet, of course.

We pulled some of that factory stuff down and it was loaded with 94 grains of "something" that looked like Retumbo. 94 with H1000 would be too hot, of course.

Hodgdon shows 94 as max with Retumbo.

I've run the Retumbo to 94 grains in Hornady brass pushing 300's... and that load was too hot in my 110BA. It shot great, but brass had ejector swipes.

I think Retumbo is the powder to beat in this cartridge. I've gotten better velocity with it than folks are getting with H1000 (though H1000 will certainly work).

In Lapua brass, working up toward 92 to 93 grains with Retumbo should get you into the 2800 fps arena. The Hornady factory stuff shoots 2850 from my rifle's 26" barrel.

Dan