• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady .308 Match Brass Thickness

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
I purchased a few hundred once-rifed cases in search of something that works well but isn't so expensive that I mind leaving it on the ground at matches. The measured case capacity is a bit higher than my Federal brass that's nearing the end of its service life, and not unexpectedly the neck material is measurably thinner as well.

Given the same processing that the Federal brass receives with a .336 bushing the neck tension on the Hornady brass is inadequate for use in an autoloader. I'm assuming that a .334 bushing will solve the problem, but I'm wondering if I should run the necks through the .334 bushing as a second step or simply remove the expander ball from the decapping assembly on my FL die and just do it all in one pass. Logically it seems like I should hit the necks at least once with the expander so smooth out any internal irregularities, but I'm confident that someone with more experience can square me away here.

Re: Hornady .308 Match Brass Thickness

When I was using the Hornady Match brass I think i was using a .333 bushing. Its good brass! You may have to bump your charge up a little to get the same velocities that you are getting with the Federal (probably .5gr)

Can't help you with bushing size, but I will say that I have had excellent performance with Hornady brass. I am going on 6 reloads and haven't even full length sized them (I neck size with a Lee Collet). No split necks, no loose primer pockets. My load isn't the hottest (44gr of Varget behind a 168SMK) but they have hung in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was using the Hornady Match brass I think i was using a .333 bushing. Its good brass! You may have to bump your charge up a little to get the same velocities that you are getting with the Federal (probably .5gr)</div></div>

Thanks. I ran a few necks through a .334 bushing and it isn't enough, so I've got a .332 en route. QuickLoad says +.7 gr. based on my measurement of case capacity, so it sounds like .5 would be a good place to start.

I pretty much run the Hornady brass exclusively. I use the .332 bushing. I think that will be the ticket for you.

I use a Lee factory crimp die on my brass for the 308 SASS. Clean with the SS Media and anneal every 4th firing. I have a 50rnd box of brass that is loaded with 44gr RE15 with Wolf primers and 175smk's that have 21 firings on them and still going strong.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: froggy2229</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pretty much run the Hornady brass exclusively. I use the .332 bushing. I think that will be the ticket for you.</div></div>

Do you run the bushing with an expander in one pass?

Hornady brass seems to be the same thickness as Winchester and Black Hills.