• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 308W 168g Match ejection issue/question

Poon

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2023
TX
I took delivery of a Seekins Precision Havak Hit Pro 308W last week, and took it to the range to get zeroed in. Brought some Federal Premium 168g match-grade ammo, and some Hornady ELD Match 168g ammo.

The rifle shoots like a dream (and build quality is top notch), particularly with the Hornady. At 100 yards, I was getting bullet-into-previous-bullet hole accuracy. It was quite unbelievable. As one Range Officer commented: "Most people dream of that level of accuracy from a rifle." I credit the rifle not my skill - I still have a lot to learn!

Anyway, as much as the rifle preferred to shoot the Hornady, it preferred to eject the Federal. I shot about 16 rounds of Federal, and every time I was able to pull the bolt back smoothly to eject. With the Hornady, I shot just 6 rounds, but half the time (3 / 6 rounds) I could only pull the bolt back about an inch - maybe a bit less -before it got stuck. A bit of wiggling about, and I'd be able to pull it back all the way and the round would eject.

I did shoot the Federal first, followed by the Hornady. But can't imagine that a hair over 20 rounds would be enough to clog up a new gun (that was cleaned before being shot at the range).

Any ideas what might be causing this? I'm guessing it's an ammo-related issue as I had no issues with the Federal - but am no expert. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Is there any difference in case lenght? Do you have a borescope?

Does it snag if you dry fire and cycle empty? With a snap cap?

When you say bolt back, do you mean on the lift or actual rearward stroke? It's almost certainly not the cases if you are getting half an inch back before it jams unless headspace is massive and the extractor isn't over the rim properly and it's then jamming in a tight point or there is a very significant difference in the rebate which is keeping the extractor proud of the bolt body, I think both are unlikely. I'd put money on sear snagging underside of bolt before an ammunition issue. Edit, not familiar with the action, possibly a bolt release snagging bolt too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShtrRdy
Thanks very much for the thoughtful response.

No issue with snap caps. In fact, I bought a new batch of Hornady and had no issues. Also heard from Seekins who suspected ammo. I *think* the issue was a bad batch of Hornady ammo... the rim of the first batch looked uneven. Think that might have been the issue.

Reactions: Slides