• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 338 300 grain A-Tip

surgeon260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Colorado
Hornady finally posted a BC: G7 is .435 at Mach 2.25, and .411 at Mach 1.75.

I am a little disappointed in these numbers. Virtually nothing to be gained over Bergers from a BC standpoint. Options are good, but I don't see any reason to switch to the Hornady given that Bergers shoot lights out.

Anyone else planning on shooting these?

Reactions: jasent
Only speculation at this point but the advantage to it and all of the A Tips may prove to be consistency at long range due to the design features. Only time and bullets down range may tell.

I'll give the 300 grain a tips a try, i'm a fan of the hornady 285's with H1000. With the 285's i had a velocity spread of 91.4=2804 91.6=2805 91.8=2804 92.0=2808 They were shooting tiny groups with like an sd of 5 or so when i was testing with my magneto speed. I'm a fan of the 6.5mm 135 A Tip performance on mule deer so when the 300grain 338 are out I'll def pick some up to test.

Only speculation at this point but the advantage to it and all of the A Tips may prove to be consistency at long range due to the design features. Only time and bullets down range may tell.

This.

I've tested the 230 Atips down to 1050 fps, and they're the most consistent bullet I've seen at ELR distances.

The 300 grain Bergers at least need to be sorted for ELR use.

I haven't tested the 300 ATips, but will when they become available.

If you're going to race groups at 100 yards, don't bother. If they're as consistent as the 230's, they'll be well worth the premium.

1:10 works for me can't get the 285g eld shoot 338 edge +p also need longer bullet than 285g

1:10 works for me can't get the 285g eld shoot 338 edge +p also need longer bullet than 285g
Im shooting the 285 ELD in a 1-9 and 1-9.4 w great accuracy from the 338 LM AI.
I will order up the 300 A-Tip when it comes available.

Reactions: aauya
Anyone else planning on shooting these?

I've got nearly 500 Berger 300s on the bench and 40 loaded up in the range bag, so they should get me into June or July. Considering the BC of the 300 A-Tip, the larger question for me is do I want to order a new fast twist barrel and go with solids. If you just want to do ELR plinking, you can buy the Berger 300s factory loaded in Lapua brass for $83 for a box of 20 and get decent SDs. I think we've shot 8 boxes now and they have run SDs in the 8 to 12 range.

Reactions: BCX
I've got nearly 500 Berger 300s on the bench and 40 loaded up in the range bag, so they should get me into June or July. Considering the BC of the 300 A-Tip, the larger question for me is do I want to order a new fast twist barrel and go with solids. If you just want to do ELR plinking, you can buy the Berger 300s factory loaded in Lapua brass for $83 for a box of 20 and get decent SDs. I think we've shot 8 boxes now and they have run SDs in the 8 to 12 range.

Dude A-Tip are not solids...

The A-Tip offer an increase in B.C vs the Berger. Not a big one but still better than nothing.
Also they will be more consistent and uniform in their B.C

worth to try

I think when making the 300gr A-Tip...and lightening the weight with aluminum and sliding it back....a 300gr is too short and stubby to take advantage of what the A-Tip line should be....I think they are going to have to produce a 350gr or so....and then you will see a dramatic jump in BC.

Dude A-Tip are not solids...

The A-Tip offer an increase in B.C vs the Berger. Not a big one but still better than nothing.
Also they will be more consistent and uniform in their B.C

worth to try

You're going to need to read my post more carefully.

I'd thought of A Tips as possibly a successor to Berger 300s. Now, instead, I'm thinking of a new, fast twist barrel to sling solids.

See, simple.

ATip, ELDm, Tac Hyb
Length 1.872, 1.740, 1.792 to 1.828
BTO (Hornady tool) 0.997, 0.937, 0.965
QL start pressure 9500, 10000, 10000. From Labradar data and peak pressures between 65 & 69 ksi. 24N41 for the ATip and ELDm. Retumbo for the Tactical Hybrid.

I agree that these bullets really are not for shooting 100 yard groups, but they seem to do it well enough. That's 5 from a 33XC.

Group.jpg

The forecast has high winds at dawn for the next week, so it'll be a bit before I can test them at distance. I think I'll start testing at 3000 fps, which is a little faster than that group was shot at.

ATip, ELDm, Tac Hyb
Length 1.872, 1.740, 1.792 to 1.828
BTO (Hornady tool) 0.997, 0.937, 0.965
QL start pressure 9500, 10000, 10000. From Labradar data and peak pressures between 65 & 69 ksi. 24N41 for the ATip and ELDm. Retumbo for the Tactical Hybrid.

I agree that these bullets really are not for shooting 100 yard groups, but they seem to do it well enough. That's 5 from a 33XC.

View attachment 7248024

The forecast has high winds at dawn for the next week, so it'll be a bit before I can test them at distance. I think I'll start testing at 3000 fps, which is a little faster than that group was shot at.

Heck with that get out there an test these thing in real world environments. High winds shouldn't scare you a bit. Look like you got the 100 yard zero. Take 20-30 rounds out there and learn something. Heck I love windy days I learn more on those days.

I agree shooting in conditions is the best way to practice. I have other guns for that.

Chasing my misses all over the hillside won't tell us much about how consistent the BC is on these though.

I'll put 5 into the berm using the same poa at 2300 yards on video through a scope with a reticle while calling out the velocities to figure that out. I'll bring another gun with ammo I've already tested to compare it to because conditions can't be completely eliminated at those distances.

I’m pretty skeptical of these atips
The only consistent thing I’ve seen from hornady has been their inconsistency

Reactions: camotoe
I’m pretty skeptical of these atips
The only consistent thing I’ve seen from hornady has been their inconsistency

A-Tips: I've seen incredible things out of the 230 and 250 grain A-Tips for my 300PRC. However, I've seen poor performance or no increase in performance out of A-Tips in 6mm and 6.5mm.

I personally think the 300gr 338 A-Tip won't see a performance increase due to its dimensions and weight. I believe a heavier/longer bullet will be needed to get an increase in performance out of the 338.

When I say performance..I mean on target ..not BC on a spec sheet.

As they are right now like others I dont see any reason to switch to the A. Tip I have shot the Berger’s out to 2626 yards.

They are so incredibly consistent, in my 6.5 they ran awesome. The ogive never changes from lot to lot, and they all are near identical.

I've got a couple boxes of .338 A-Tips but I haven't been able to find the seating stem in stock anywhere yet. Even the Hornady site shows the item greyed out.

I've got a couple boxes of .338 A-Tips but I haven't been able to find the seating stem in stock anywhere yet. Even the Hornady site shows the item greyed out.
I bought RCBS match master dies for the 338, the stem fits the atip horrible, BUT I am thinking if I drill out the bottom where things are coming into contact it will work alright, until I have RCBS make me a custom one.

Reactions: Howland
A-Tips: I've seen incredible things out of the 230 and 250 grain A-Tips for my 300PRC. However, I've seen poor performance or no increase in performance out of A-Tips in 6mm and 6.5mm.

I personally think the 300gr 338 A-Tip won't see a performance increase due to its dimensions and weight. I believe a heavier/longer bullet will be needed to get an increase in performance out of the 338.

When I say performance..I mean on target ..not BC on a spec sheet.

What kind of velocity, barrel length and twist are you running with that PRC and 250 gr?

What kind of velocity, barrel length and twist are you running with that PRC and 250 gr?

9 Twist Bartlein 28 inches. Speed.....heh.... 2931fps...and yes...I need to back it down...but pressure looks good on cheap Hornady brass. I'm ordering a strain gauge soon to read pressures for load development.

9 Twist Bartlein 28 inches. Speed.....heh.... 2931fps...and yes...I need to back it down...but pressure looks good on cheap Hornady brass. I'm ordering a strain gauge soon to read pressures for load development.

That's pretty damn good, I was hoping to get 2900 with just a straight 300 Norma and 28" barrel.

What elevation are you shooting at? Hornady told me 8.5 twist because I'm close to sea level but I would love a 9.

I'm at ~900ft elevation. The 250's I shot at Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio...was a cold day too....I'd have to back that powder load down when it got warm most likely.....That load was with Vhitavouri N565. RL-33 is too slow in my gun and showed pressure signs too early..and poor velocity speeds. Retumbo was ok...but N565 was better. I'll do another test with RL-26 soon on the 250's...because 1. I found some and 2. The 230's are loving it. Speeds were done with a MagnetoSpeedV3.

Reactions: nick338
You are the 2nd person I have seen to shoot the 250 A Tip with a 9 twist and have good results. If you have a chance, let me know if you calculated bc at the distance you were shooting.

Thanks for the info.

You are the 2nd person I have seen to shoot the 250 A Tip with a 9 twist and have good results. If you have a chance, let me know if you calculated bc at the distance you were shooting.

Thanks for the info.

I'll try to do that the next time I'm out....which hopefully...will be soon.

With cartridges like the 338Snipetac, 33XC, 338EnABLER, and so one that can push a 300gn bullet 3300-3500fps, there should be 330-360gn 338cal bullets on the market. The call for optimization hasn’t been seen yet like we’ve seen for the 375cal bullets.

Reactions: Geno C. and BCX
With cartridges like the 338Snipetac, 33XC, 338EnABLER, and so one that can push a 300gn bullet 3300-3500fps, there should be 330-360gn 338cal bullets on the market. The call for optimization hasn’t been seen yet like we’ve seen for the 375cal bullets.

Clearly 300 gr projectiles are old news and with the cartridges you mentioned it's odd to me that Hornady had an opportunity to expand the field and failed to do so.

I don't think they are old news for Lapua/Norma class cartridges. I would venture a guess that there are way more Lapua shooters than Snipetac/XC/etc. combined. I think 300 is about right for these cartridges, although I will definitely be trying the Berger 329 in my Lapua and Norma wildcats.

Reactions: DIBBS and wildcats
RL-33 is too slow in my gun and showed pressure signs too early.

I don't understand this statement. By too slow, are you referring to powder burn rate or projectile velocity? If the burn rate is too slow, then you shouldn't be hitting pressure signs.

I don't think they are old news for Lapua/Norma class cartridges. I would venture a guess that there are way more Lapua shooters than Snipetac/XC/etc. combined. I think 300 is about right for these cartridges, although I will definitely be trying the Berger 329 in my Lapua and Norma wildcats.

Hornady could have done a similar weight A Tip as the Berger with a .460-470 G7 bc that Lapua/Norma shooters would have been ecstatic with.

Reactions: surgeon260
I don't understand this statement. By too slow, are you referring to powder burn rate or projectile velocity? If the burn rate is too slow, then you shouldn't be hitting pressure signs.

I don't understand the situation in my barrel either. The powder burn rate is too slow and is not all the way burned before it leaves my 28" barrel. The muzzle velocity is probably 200fps on average lower as well. Then I'm showing heavy swipes and extractor plunger marks even on ADG brass and a noticeable recoil snap if I try to get near the case fill or velocity that I want. Typical testing days have been 40F at the warmest...at around 900 feet of elevation. Seating depth has been where boat tail meets the neck junction for all my loads of 225gr ELD-M's, 230gr Atips and 250gr A-Tips.

With other powders doing well...I will just leave RL-33 on the shelf. RL-26 is doing real well for me...if I can find it. N565 works good...and Retumbo. I'll leave the RL-33 on the shelf for you bigger bore guys.

Does the situation improve right after you clean the barrel? I have noticed that RL33 is a very dirty powder, and I can get premature pressure signs due to carbon buildup.

Reactions: BCX
Does the situation improve right after you clean the barrel? I have noticed that RL33 is a very dirty powder, and I can get premature pressure signs due to carbon buildup.

Barrel at the time of testing was pretty clean. I had just bought a Teslong Bore Scope and was testing out the image quality. My barrel has an almost mirror finish on the inside and the throat has no tool chatter marks. I was also recording the firing pin drop upon trigger pull and slowing that video down to see if the firing pin was coming through the hole center.

All that being said, I know the barrel was very clean upon testing. After testing...it was only a few patches and returned to looking the same as before. Also, I test many loads on the same day and always keep known good loads and re-test velocity and accuracy out to distance. I know every barreled action is different...and every gun has its own likes and dislikes...I guess mine just doesn't like RL-33. That's ok...I'll feed it whatever it likes.

I tested these 300gr atips today and they were awesome, this was my first shots through the rifle so I just did a Satterlee and picked a few random loads to try.
with one of the loads out I got 7/14 shots at one mile and my saterlee load dev got me up to 2930 FPS (h1000 30 inch tube) without any pressure signs at all, but the loads I used were more like 2830 FPS
Here is my post on Instagram with some details.

That is encouraging news. I'm sitting on two boxes and can't wait to see if I can replicate your results.

Were you able to find the elusive A-Tip seating stem anywhere? If not, what did you use?

Also one thing to note, they do not have the 300gr atip in the 4dof app yet, BUT using their bc calculator. It seems they are more efficient than advertised. using very accurate environmental from a kestrel and the bc calculator, it calls for 16.5 mils at one mile. But I'm getting there with 14.5 mils!
Hoping that Hornady adds the bullet to 4Dof soon! But it seems the G7 is more like .483 than .435.

I was finally able to find the .338 300gr. A-Tip seating stem in stock at Bruno's. I've been looking at the projectiles on my bench for a couple months.

Hopefully they will arrive in time to load some test rounds and take to the range next weekend.

Also one thing to note, they do not have the 300gr atip in the 4dof app yet, BUT using their bc calculator. It seems they are more efficient than advertised. using very accurate environmental from a kestrel and the bc calculator, it calls for 16.5 mils at one mile. But I'm getting there with 14.5 mils!
Hoping that Hornady adds the bullet to 4Dof soon! But it seems the G7 is more like .483 than .435.

That's very interesting to hear/read. When Applied Ballistics tested the 30cal 250gr A-Tip they also came to a higher G7 at .450 instead of the .440 Avg they list on their website.

I hope Applied Ballistics gets around to testing the 338cal 300gr A-Tip soon as it would be great to have the data and CDM for the Kestrel and AB Analytics.

I was finally able to find the .338 300gr. A-Tip seating stem in stock at Bruno's. I've been looking at the projectiles on my bench for a couple months.

Hopefully they will arrive in time to load some test rounds and take to the range next weekend.

soooooo I have beef with the atip seating stems. (Haven’t tried them with the 338, but two others)
And they for some reason seam to “grab” the bullet, and I’ve gotten horrible concentricity for the stems (ruled everything else out)
Howver, for my 338 atips I’m using the rcbs match master dies, their stem did feel great but I polished it up a bit, and it still doesn’t feel great but gives me very good concentricity.

I was finally able to test them at distance a couple days ago. I came up with a G7 of 0.448 for the whole trip to 2300 yards. The bullet was almost down to 1100 fps. G7s for higher velocities/closer distances will likely be higher.

The BC isn't really the point, it's an added benefit. They held vertical better than anything I've seen except the 30 caliber 230 grain ATip, and they certainly weren't any worse than that.

I didn't have any problems with seating using the Tubb 33xc dies. With the 30s and RCBS or Redding dies, I bore the seater stem with a 3/16 end mill until the tip of the bullet doesn't bottom, polish the edge of the hole, and then lap it in with a bullet.

Reactions: M289 and Howland
soooooo I have beef with the atip seating stems. (Haven’t tried them with the 338, but two others)
And they for some reason seam to “grab” the bullet, and I’ve gotten horrible concentricity for the stems (ruled everything else out)
Howver, for my 338 atips I’m using the rcbs match master dies, their stem did feel great but I polished it up a bit, and it still doesn’t feel great but gives me very good concentricity.

The .338 A-Tip seating stems are just beginning to show up. I've had the projectiles over two months. I'll be at the loading bench this weekend. I've already figured out I've got concentricity issues with the 285 ELD-M and have narrowed it down to the seating step of the process. I'll post how it goes.

Best price I've seen for the stems is Bruno's. Checkout said S&H was $13.99. They put it in a USPS First Class 2 oz. padded envelope and only charged $3.05.

Reactions: Cowboy83