• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 338LM 250gr vs FGMM, Black Hills, etc

ScottACousino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Have a customer looking to get into a .338LM and doing some pricing for him, is there a reason the Hornady .338LM 250gr BTHP is so much cheaper than competing brands (ie Fed Gold MM, Corbon, Black Hills)?

He does not reload, will only be shooting factory ammo, but wants accuracy and is not afraid to pay for it, but if he can save a few dollars by shooting the Hornady than so be it.

So is it a deal or not that good of a factory load?

Thanks
Scott

Re: Hornady 338LM 250gr vs FGMM, Black Hills, etc

I would have him shoot everything to find out what his rifle likes the best. I have never used Hornady .338 Ammo but their .308 TAP ammo is quality. Why not try everything if money isnt really an issue with him.

I have used both FGGM and Hornady in my Tac 338. My rifle likes the Hornady much better. My groups went from 3/4 MOA to better than 1/4 MOA. The only issue I had with it was causing the bolt to be a little stiff on ejection. You can always send the rifle to Chad at Custom Reloads of Dallas and he will work up loads specifically for the rifle.

I have used the Hornady 338LM... which comes with 250gn Scenars. Good ammo, for me no difference with Lapua factory ammo, and the brass is quite reloadable.

I really thought that Hornady factory was using the Hornady bullet not the Lapua Scenar. I would like to believe that there is no difference because I can get the Hornady a lot cheaper than Lapua. Someone please tell me if I am off base here.

Perhaps I am mistaken. I wish I had some left, but just have the empty box.

I don't have the 338 LM but do have a 338 WM and with the Hornady 225 SST's and the 250's it will do clover leafs at 200 yards. So I get outstanding results with them. Here in the next few weeks hope to stretch it's legs out to 1000 yds. and then some.

I still have some factory Hornady 250's. I'll pull one tomorrow and compare with the Scenars.

I think the main difference is the brass. The more expensive brands use Lapua Brass. where hornady uses there own. I have used hornady 338 brass it works just as well as Lapua.

I would add that Hornady 338LM brass, while not as finished looking as Lapua, seems every bit as hardy for reloading. I reload both and they are holding up equally.