• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 53g V-Max???

Re: Hornady 53g V-Max???

I've got some test loads already loaded up with them but haven't got to shoot them yet. I thought the same as you, can't beat the BC with anything in that weight range. I've heard great things on hunting forums. Midsouth had them for like 15 bucks for 100, cheap enough to give them a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goose_boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got some test loads already loaded up with them but haven't got to shoot them yet. I thought the same as you, can't beat the BC with anything in that weight range. I've heard great things on hunting forums. Midsouth had them for like 15 bucks for 100, cheap enough to give them a try. </div></div>

I've got to give them a try. Will post results when I do. Hope you post your results as well, good luck.

I also have two boxes of these...need to try some out soon.

I tried these out right when they came out because of the nice advertised B.C. They shot fine and had the same affect on Prairie Dogs as the 55 gr. V-Max do. I did not try them at 500 yards to see if the advertised B.C. is accurate. I started shooting 70 gr. Bergers and they shoot so well that I don't want to buy anything else.

I picked up a box of them recently to try, but the rifle I'm going to shoot them out of won't be finished for a month or so. I'd like to see the results anyone has with them. I'll try to remember to post my results when I get around to working up a load with them.

Here I thought I'd finally be able to contribute something....but I use them in a 22-250.

Can't say it's a night and day difference, but with the low BCs of varmint bullets, any little bit helps. Perform the same as the other V-maxs (obviously)

I have been shooting them in my .220 swift gap built rifle 37 grn.s of varget norma brass . I am zerod at 200 yds. only 10 moa. at 600 yds. These bullets only 19.5 inches wind drift at 600 yds. 5 mph crosswind and fairly consistantly hold 1/4 moa and consistant 1/2 moa out to 600 yds. And what they do to crows inside of 400 yds will put a Just got slapped with a wet sqirrel look on your face.

I have been shooting them in my .220 swift gap built rifle 37 grn.s of varget norma brass . I am zerod at 200 yds. only 10 moa. at 600 yds. These bullets only 19.5 inches wind drift at 600 yds. 5 mph crosswind and fairly consistantly hold 1/4 moa and consistant 1/2 moa out to 600 yds. And what they do to crows inside of 400 yds will put a Just got slapped with a wet sqirrel look on your face.

They work very well on coyotes. They shoot around a 1/4 out of my Sako.

Thanks to all the folks that responded. I got what I needed to know. Stop by Cabela's in Ft. Worth this morning to get some, they didn't have any in stock..

Been reading the hunting sites. I have a 1:12 twist, and everyone seems to think that's the hot ticket for that slow of a twist. Going to try them with 25gr of benchmarks and see what they do. If you have a cabellas, you may have a bass pro,and they should have them. Ordered mine from Midway USA.

ar 15
26.0 gr varget
Oal 2.26"
rem 7 1/2 primers

shoots very well in my rifle.

remmy 700 short action in 223 with 24 inch barrel twist is 1:12 benchmark at 25.5 gr gives 3300 fps. accurate and does one hell of a number on coyotes.