• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 6.5

Re: Hornady 6.5

if thats a plastic tipped bullet, keep in mind the old adage....friends dont let friends shoot plastic tipped bullets. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if thats a plastic tipped bullet, keep in mind the old adage....friends dont let friends shoot plastic tipped bullets. :)
</div></div>

Those are not good friends then as the AMAX is a very accurate bullet with consistent BC due to that plastic tip.

Chiller sometimes the AMAX is too long for some people so the BTHP is a good option. BCs are very similar and with Hornady's new AMP jacketing their tips are very consistent compared to other BTHP bullets. My 178s look almost trimmed.

Nope. I shoot the 140 AMAX factory ammo in my Creedmoor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope. I shoot the 140 AMAX factory ammo in my Creedmoor. </div></div>

Yeah, and don't mess with him when he does!!

Long time no speaks Rob!

N

Rob01 Those are not good friends then as the AMAX is a very accurate bullet with consistent BC due to that plastic tip. [/quote said:
Just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one as I have seen too many folks screwed by bad plastic tips to ever bother using them myself. Lose 10 pts and my weekend is over. Maybe for others, losing 10 pts, or more, is ok. Now, when they function as intended, yeah, I would agree that they are accurate and consistent with BC, but we can get that with several other manufacturer's bullets without the risk of a bad tip.

Were those Hornady bullets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Were those Hornady bullets? </div></div>

Rob, if that was directed at me, yes sir, I am talking about Hornady red tipped bullets. I have witnessed (ie, I was scoring for the shooter) both 75s and 155s go wacky. As I know the shooter, personally, when they go from 10/Xs to misses, well, something is amiss. Also watched a few vapor trails go missing. Only thing we could narrow it down to was tips. When he switched to some green box bullets, no more issues.

Yeah, I like the idea of a consistent BC from the use of the tip, but if the tips arent foolproof, well, loss of pts isnt acceptable....heck, loss of Xs isnt. :)

John

hmmmmmmm

trying to find a good simple 6.5 family.

hae used the AMAX and it has done well for me. Just tinking if I should go to the match to take this possibility away.

I've shot thousands of them in many flavors. I have found about a half dozen where the tips weren't quite right and I culled the bullets for scope alignment loads only.

I heard that the early Amax's had issues with inconsistency but they're been exceptionally good for a lot of people I know (including myself) for several years now.

The 140 Amax is the only thing that I've put through my 6.5 Creedmoor at this point. The rifle shoots so well I don't want to change, I just keep buying more of them.

There's a shooter here who switched his 7mm08 from the 7mm 162 A-Max to the 162 BTHP...and got a little better velocity & drift/drop (not to mention consistency) well beyond 1000yd.

Wonder if the same is true of the 6.5mm...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's a shooter here who switched his 7mm08 from the 7mm 162 A-Max to the 162 BTHP...and got a little better velocity & drift/drop (not to mention consistency) well beyond 1000yd.

Wonder if the same is true of the 6.5mm... </div></div>

mwroseberry IIRC

It isn't.

The 140 Amax already transitions through the sound barrier well without issue, the 140 BTHP doesn't have as good of a BC.

Since the existing 140 Amax already transitions and has a higher BC with excellent repeatability I don't see much point to going to the BTHP version.

The 162 Amax, 162 Amax AMP, and 162 BTHP AMP comparison that the other guy did came when he found issues as the bullets approached the sound barrier. With the new Amax and the AMP jacketed BTHP those issues went away. The tail was changed slightly on the new bullets from the pictures that he posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmmmmm

hae used the AMAX and it has done well for me. Just tinking if I should go to the match to take this possibility away.</div></div>

I know what happened to the A-max bullets in question. I was shooting a highpower EIC match near Albany NY like 10 years ago and was using 75 a-maxs in my AR for the 600. They were long loaded and did not fit in the mag. The 600 is single round loading and I was laying each round on the single round follower in my mag and letting the bolt go home. I believe I had my rifle canted alittle to much when I let the bolt go home and the tip of the bullet hit the edge of the chamber and it bent the plastic tip to a complete 90 degree angle. I felt it hit and extracted it for a look see. If I would have shot that bullet I'm sure it would have been a "Maggies drawers".

The moral of the story is for me.....always hand feed that long loaded A-max into the chamber before letting the bolt go home.

I have shot 1000's of A-maxs without that happening again.

Don't know what to tell you John but I have only found maybe a handfull of the tips that have been loose, which is caught while loading, out of many thousands in different calibers and weights. The AMAX bullets have never let me down and I'll continue to shoot them.

Atleast people who don't care for the polymer tips now have and option with Hornady's BTHPs with the AMP jackets.

From my experience with my bolt gun I have found the
A-Maxes hold a better MOA than the BTHP MATCH.

Chiller,,if you want to try the BTHP I can give you some.

I just loaded up some of each and the 140 bthp has a little ogive problem... .030" worth. Going to call and see if I got a bad lot. I am sure they will make it right.

I've been happy as a clam with the 140 Amax in my 6.5's, and that included running them in a gasgun in excess of 1000yds.

Debating on calibers for then next match rifle, but it will be spitting 140 or 162 Amax's
wink.gif

I have to say that we had a terrible batch of 80gr .224" A-Max projectiles shipped down this way. A lot of shooters tried them out in F/TR comp in match .223s and the results were rubbish. Base to ogive lengths varied as much as .020" and wild fliers would occur regularly. Bit of a shame really as they're potentially very good. Hopefully with better QC, the next lot, perhaps with AMP jackets, will perform more consistently.

Chiller....I've had good luck with the 140 amax...No probs here...You have the 139 scenar and the 142 smk's you can try also. I run 139 in my KMW 260

I love Amax's, I have shot a ton of 178s, I ran out of 139 Scenars and have switched to the 140s and soon 208s for my 308, I have maybe 2 plastic tips come out, but guess what, when there flying thru the air they won't come out, and when poor old pigs get whacked with a Amax its pretty impressive the damage a so called target bullet unleashes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to say that we had a terrible batch of 80gr .224" A-Max projectiles shipped down this way. A lot of shooters tried them out in F/TR comp in match .223s and the results were rubbish. Base to ogive lengths varied as much as .020" and wild fliers would occur regularly. Bit of a shame really as they're potentially very good. Hopefully with better QC, the next lot, perhaps with AMP jackets, will perform more consistently.

</div></div>

I have had great results with the 80gr Amax out of my 20" AR-15 at 1000yd line at MCB Quantico. Single loading, 2650fps, looking like a 308W. Excellent bullets.

Also like the 123gr AMax in my Grendel AR. Buddy of mine shot a 7-round, 0.5" group with them at 325yds with them - best group I have even seen out of an AR-based platform. Another Amax I recommend.