• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 6.5mm/.264 123gr AMAX Question!

jcfd2201

Playing with fire!
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
NE Arizona
I am looking to work up some loads for my new build, 260 Ackley with a 26" 8.5 twist. I was looking at the Hornady 123gr Amax and wondering why they list it with Grendel/LBC/Lapua.

Does anyone have any idea on that?

Has anyone used that bullet?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Hornady 6.5mm/.264 123gr AMAX Question!

I believe the 123 gn amax was designed for the grendel/lbc because the 120 gn doesn't work well because of the ogive. That said it should shoot fine in the 260.

Thanks Country!!! That makes sense I just couldn't figure it out or find it anywhere. I couldn't see any reason it wouldn't work but didn't want to buy some and then find out there was some strange difference.

I have shot the 123's in my new 260. Everything the same they run nearly 100fps slower than the SMK's in 123gr. Accuracy was great though, just slow.

Team mate Kevin has loaded them up in the Creedmoor and was really happy with both accuracy and velocity. If memory serves he had them around 3050fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Country!!! That makes sense I just couldn't figure it out or find it anywhere. I couldn't see any reason it wouldn't work but didn't want to buy some and then find out there was some strange difference. </div></div>

If your rifle doesn't like them p.m. me and I'll pick them up from you if need be. My .264lbc loves them.

I loaded some for my creedmoor with 40gr Varget and shot two 5 rd groups, first was .3" second one .45" both @ 100 yds MV was 2980 fps out of the 26" criterion. I also loaded some with 40 gr RL15 and MV was the same but it wasn't as accurate, I don't think I will load any more 123's because the rifle shoots great with the 140's ( amax & ncc ) but I ordered them for my Grendel & figured it wouldn't hurt to try them, now I wonder about the 95 gr amax...I may load 10 or 20 just to see how they do.