• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 6 Creedmoor brass primer pockets loose?

JGorski

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Central Wis.
I know some of you fellas are complaining about your Hornady 6 Creedmoor brass saying the primer pockets are loose after a couple firings, well today I seated some WLRs in my brass that has been fired 6 times and like the Tula primers they were not easy to seat, that being said, maybe it's a primer problem rather than the brass. I used to use BR2s and they were always easy to seat. So is every brand of primers seating easy or falling out for the guys out there with enlarged primer pockets, or just certain brands?

Good question. I've always used BR2s because I've never had a problem with them, didn't bother to try any others but I'm not sure about how I feel about it either. Maybe I'll try some Federal. Be interesting to see maybe we should make a poll...

I'd almost swear my brass has never been fired after seating those WLRs and the Tulas. BR2s & Rem 9 1/2s go in w/o a hitch.

I use fgmm 210s on my 6 creed 5th firing and they feel like new brass nice and firm . they were extremely tight when new.
I've got Tulas also my plan was to try them if they got loose but so far no need!

There was a Precision Shooting article years ago that published the primer dimensions, and there is some variation. When my .308 WIN brass was worn out no primers would stay in unless they were glued in there. I too have found that the Tula primers are harder to seat, especially LP, I think it has to do with the dimensions and surface coating.

Last edited:
While I don't have a 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor, I've spoken to a few local shooters who do about their opinions regarding Hornady brass. Many have experienced the "loose" primer pockets after a few firings using CCIs and Federals and when this happens, they change to the Russian primers to extend their brass life.