• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady 7.62x39 SR brass neck wall thickness

abosely

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2021
Big Island HI
Looking to find out what Hornady 7.62x39 ST primer pocket cases neck wall thickness was running.

Mostly just need to find out if the neck wall thicknesses were consistently.012 or above.

Working on wildcat using Lapua .220 Russian brass, but wondering if Hornady 7.62x39 neck wall thickness was consistently just over .012.
If so would be able to use Hornady cases for loading in rifle being built. Chamber neck is being cut for .012 neck wall thickness.

In few weeks will have the tools to finish cases and will be sending dummy cartridges to Manson Reamer for custom reamer.

Once am able to have finished cases formed will tell about what working on. It’s non commercial, just custom making something that will feed reliably from Mini 30 magazines without modifying the magazines.

Can’t even find Hornady 7.62x39 brass anywhere to buy some to measure.
Hoping someone has few cases new unfired or loaded cases & could measure few for me.
Only need to find out if they are consistently .012 neck wall thickness. What the neck wall thickness is if more than .012 doesn’t matter.

Cheers, Allen

Hello Allen, I did not locate any Hornaday, but I took a random sample of some other pieces:

RP (small rifle primer) 0.011"
Belom 0.012"
Winchester 0.012"
Fiocchi 0.013"
PMC 0.011"
GECO 0.010"
IK 13 0.011"
FC 0.009"
S&B 0.010"
PPU 0.011"

Only the RP used small primers. Keep us updated on your progress. If I find any Hornaday I will let you know.

Hello Allen, I did not locate any Hornaday, but I took a random sample of some other pieces:

RP (small rifle primer) 0.011"
Belom 0.012"
Winchester 0.012"
Fiocchi 0.013"
PMC 0.011"
GECO 0.010"
IK 13 0.011"
FC 0.009"
S&B 0.010"
PPU 0.011"

Only the RP used small primers. Keep us updated on your progress. If I find any Hornaday I will let you know.
Thanks, very useful data.
Yes will post more soon.
Have Lee 7.62x39 FL sizer die modified to use Redding bushings to iron out donut where what was shoulder is now neck arriving this coming week.
I don’t have sizing die for 300x38 yet because chamber reamer isn’t determined yet.
Once have reloading dies can full length size case to iron out donut.

Can see the donut in pic. Got the neck turning tools in yesterday, so just need the sizer die to iron out donuts, then will turn necks too .012 wall thickness, load dummy round and send it to Manson Reamers to have custom chamber reamer made for custom mini 30 building.
I’ll post the reamer drawing soon as I get it.

If anyone is interested I’ll post about the cartridges.
6x38, 6.5x38 & 300x38, all will work through 5, 10, 20 & 30 Ruger mini 30 magazines without modification of magazines.

Powder capacities will be slightly less than 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grindel, 300 Major & 7.62x39.

No fire forming needed, expand necks, FL size case, turn necks & load.

Have SR primer case and feed in mini 30 with no magazine modification.

Could use 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grindel or Hornady 7.62x39 SR cases to form brass from.

They are’t intended to be ‘better’ than any existing cartridges, just way to have 6mm, 6.5mm & .30 caliber cartridges that are simple to form, with no fire forming needed to work in mini 30 platform.

Will be measuring case volumes, but not really that much less than the above cases volumes.
Different brands of cases can vary almost as much as the straighter wall cases.

If I was using AR platform these cartridges wouldn’t be beneficial, actually would be problematic to function in AR platform.
There are already comparable cartridges (with little more capacity) that work great in AR platforms.

These are just to give similar performance cartridges for the mini 30 action.

Cheers, Allen
827BE7D3-B9B5-49B7-98DE-D82D28625EDB.jpeg

The cases have necks expanded from 22 to 6mm and then 6mm to .30 cal.
That is CEB Bullets 100gr Flat Base Raptor bullet.