• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady A-Max Opinions

Rick_3

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2010
New Mexico
I am trying to get some opinions on the 178 A-Max for the .308 win. as a 1000yd bullet. I have shot them out to 500yds on steels, but never really got the chance to see how accurate they are on paper. Have any of you had any luck with them? Just trying to get opinions on the inherent accuracy of the bullet itself.
Thanks for all your comments,
Rick_3

Re: Hornady A-Max Opinions

The bullet is very accurate. The question is: can a 308 keep it supersonic to 1000 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ekbgr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bullet is very accurate. The question is: can a 308 keep it supersonic to 1000 yards? </div></div>
yes

I am currently working up a load where I can hopefully get the MV over 2600 and as long as I don't have any pressure problems it should be ok. Do any of you have any loads you have worked up for this bullet that can do this safely, and most importantly accurately?

EWOAF: Have you worked up any good loads with this bullet and had good success?

I've shot the 178 exclusively in several of my LR rifles and never had a problem to beyond 1000. Typically 5000+ ASL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am currently working up a load where I can hopefully get the MV over 2600 and as long as I don't have any pressure problems it should be ok. Do any of you have any loads you have worked up for this bullet that can do this safely, and most importantly accurately?

EWOAF: Have you worked up any good loads with this bullet and had good success? </div></div>
There is an entire section of the Forum dedicated to reloading and it includes a special section for specific load data. Check it out. You can also find safe load data on the Hornady website or in reloading manuals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can hopefully get the MV over 2600 and as long as I don't have any pressure problems it should be ok.</div></div>

You should make it to 2600 safely. Most people are making over 2600 with around 42 grains. Take a look at the following thread. Lastly, since you are new, please use the search engine or google. Lots of great stuff around here that has already been discussed.

168 Amax loads.

Josh

I don't know about the 178gr. But the 208 I use in my 300WM flies straight, & true past supersonic.