• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady A-Tips w/RCBS Seating Stem?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Interested in trying the 300 grain A-Tips, currently using the 285 ELD's.
    Is the ogive to tip dimension that much different than the ELD tips, that they require Hornady seating dies w/their stem?

Not inclined to want to drop the coin to change from the RCBS micrometer seater just for the privilege of trying this boolit.

Anyone else been down this road?

If it hits the tip you could drill out a recess for clearance then hone it to match the bullet.

^^
    Yeah, thought about that. Didn't know if it's heat treated, probably not.
    But why would I want to "hone it to match the bullet"?

I only want it to contact the bullet at the ogive- nowhere else, so it wouldn't matter if there were a mile of clearance above it.
    Unless, of course, I'm missing something here.

^^
    Yeah, thought about that. Didn't know if it's heat treated, probably not.
    But why would I want to "hone it to match the bullet"?

I only want it to contact the bullet at the ogive- nowhere else, so it wouldn't matter if there were a mile of clearance above it.
    Unless, of course, I'm missing something here.
    Because the a tips have a long nose so the angle might be different than the one cut on the stem and I can tell you Hornandy bullets have thin jackets you don’t want to mess up with an ill fitting seating die.

Reactions: ACard
    Because the a tips have a long nose so the angle might be different than the one cut on the stem and I can tell you Hornandy bullets have thin jackets you don’t want to mess up with an ill fitting seating die.

^^^ this right here, I will add that even the Hornady A-Tips seating stem needs honing🤬, leaves a ring on the jackets if you do not.

Last edited: