• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hornady Ammo & Velocity

gm9658

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2008
Cortez, Colorado
Hornady says they are using a new type of powder in their factory ammo that yeilds about 200fps gain without increased pressure. What are they using?

Re: Hornady Ammo & Velocity

I dunno, but I wish they'd dump some of that shit into the Creedmoor cases....

Now I maybe wrong, but it's unlikely anybody on this site can tell you what powder they're using. Oh there maybe some Hornady employees on here but I'll bet they wouldn't be employees for long if'n they did start spouting proprietary business information.

I read that article too and it seems like Hornady has come up with a number of mechanical or chemical changes to the powder and if they have, they sure ain't gonna' advertise it so that somebody else can copy it.

My Hornady boxes have the load printed on the box.

No great mystery powder, says H4350....

I was basing my response to the article found in the latest American Rifleman magazine regarding Hornady's Superperformance ammo. I saw no mention of any particular grade of powder. Though they do mention that the powder is being used in 6.5 CM ammo.

Thank God... I desperately want to use some factory ammo that will actually move. They can keep the load a secret, I don't care.

Hornady does use some proprietary powders which you can't buy off the shelf for some of their loadings like the RCMs and the new loadings to get extra velocity. Some loads they use of the shelf powders as well like the H4350 in the Creedmoor.