• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hornady Auto Charge problem

cattleman99

Snyder Precision LLC
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2018
Lincoln, NE
www.snyderprecision.com
I have a Hornady Auto Charge powder dispenser that I just can't seem to get to throw consistent charges. I have called Hornady twice and still can not figure out the problem. I have the speed set to slow, the trickle set to 0.6 grains before target, and the speed down to 0.2. Is there a trick or something I can do to fix this? I have no confidence in the Auto Charge, and am wishing I had went with RCBS.

I also have evidence that mine occasionally overthrows. I sometimes get low SDs but high ES. I’m going to add a secondary scale to my process to check it. In episode 42 of the podcast, Adam talks about what he uses.

Have you done the straw trick? The autochargers of ALL brands will never be as accurate as we want them to be. They are a compromise that is a time saver versus a precision machine.

RMD

I found the straw trick here: http://www.accuracy-tech.com/rcbs-chargemaster-modifications/

I do have a problem with detected overthrows, and the straw could help with that. @cattleman99 I use slow speed and and set the trickle to 0.8-1.2 for extruded powders like Varget. That has reduced the frequency of detected overthrows.

What I need to fix now is undetected overthrows, where all the readings from the system are what I set. That’s where I’m adding a secondary check scale. My bet is that the second scale will detect overthrows the first isn’t registering and I’ll be able to reject those loading.

Of course, this is why people look for a speed node, because if you’re in one of those, the charge weight variance won’t have as much effect on the speed.

Reactions: tnc
I bought the reducer a guy sells here on the hide. It helped a lot.

The ultimate problem solver was when I sold the Hornadys and bought a A&D FX120i with auto trickler and auto charge.