• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Black in Savage bolt gun

Gmac

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2017
Delaware
I bought some Hornady Black in 223 to shoot in both my AR and my Savage bolt. Abt 1 in 4 do not fire in my bolt gun. Looks like lite strikes, not sure. Same bullet fires fine in my AR. No problem with several other 223 brands in the bolt gun. Any thoughts? Does Hornady use hard primers??

I only had this happen to me with Hornady AG 55 grain rounds. It only happened on 2 rounds though and never again. I believe some have said in the past that the hornady black and hornady AG are essentially the same recipe. Though they say this for 6.5CM, not sure how similar the components would be for .223.

Hopefully someone can better inform us as I am curious as well...

Have you shot other ammo out of the bolt or is it brand new? If so, how do the measurements of that fired brass compare to the new virgin?

I bought some Hornady Black in 223 to shoot in both my AR and my Savage bolt. Abt 1 in 4 do not fire in my bolt gun. Looks like lite strikes, not sure. Same bullet fires fine in my AR. No problem with several other 223 brands in the bolt gun. Any thoughts? Does Hornady use hard primers??
Compare the firing pin dimples in the ftf rounds from the bolt gun to the firing pin dimples from the AR, is there a noticeable difference in the depth?

Ive probably shot a single box of 223 black out of a 12fv Savage and didn't have issues. Not a huge sample size but still no issues.

Compare the firing pin dimples in the ftf rounds from the bolt gun to the firing pin dimples from the AR, is there a noticeable difference in the depth?
Good idea. Thnx. I’ll check an ftf nxt time at range. I’ve fired a variety of ammo out if the bolt gun: PMC Bronze, PPU, Hornady Amax, Federal SMK. So I know it’s not the gun. It seems to like a heavy Federal SMK bullets best. The Hornady Black group’s great also WHEN it fires.