• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady brass

Edo1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Gillette,Wy
Curious what the opinions are on Hornady brass. Have you had any problems using it and does it seem to be quality stuff?

Re: Hornady brass

I have used it in one of my 308's and find it to be just as good as Winchester. I don’t have to alter the load from one to the other so case capacity must be very close, of course that may be different in another caliber.

Primer pockets are still tight and I have somewhere around 6-8 firings on them. Good to go in my book just a little on the spendy side.

I hear that they are spectacular when it comes to brass, but apparently people really don't like their 204 brass. I just wish they made 300WSM brass, but their commitment to the 300RCM (which is near death imo) prevents that.

I have shot it and would say its closer to lapua in a.308 than anything else I've shot. The .300 win mag brass is also exceptional. I have some that have been shot 5 or 6 times with no problems except trimming. Great brass.

I've used it in .308 and .223, seems very consistent. If you're reloading once fired brass from factory loads look out for Superformance the pockets may loosen very early, mine did. Other than those I've got seven or eight loadings, no issues.

I have had problems with cracking necks after 2 firing cycles. I think it may be my my dies overworking the necks (although all of my other brass Nosler, Fed, Win, etc doesn't seem to crack so soon).

2012-04-16143321.jpg

2012-04-16143357.jpg

FWIW I don't think I will buy Hornady brass again due to price vs quality. Hornady brass (50pcs)=$30.89 and Lapua brass (100pcs)=$68.91 Lapua is probably worth the extra $8.02

(prices from http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/)

Never had any problems and find the brass works great. I usually just reload the factory brass I fire and have about 8 firings through some 6.5 Creedmoor and 4 through .308 and still going strong. Loads very accurate ammo.

I'm on my 8th reloading of a case of factory .308 match and it's still going strong. Annealed after the 6th cycle.

8 X on mine. Pockets are still tight. Annealed every 3rd firing.

I do believe overworking will toast any brass. I wonder why only the Hornady brass will crack after the second firing cycle when I use the same dies on Nosler, Federal, Win, etc which are on their 5th or 6th cycle. I do have Hornady brass that has lasted but the problems I had may have been from a bad batch.

The weight variance from case to case on .223 is not as good as I would expect considering the small groups I'm able to shoot through a factory Savage.

I use 6.5 creedmoor brass from factory ammo as well as new brass and I like it, weight is a lot more consistent than Winchester, I am on the 3rd cycle on factory ammo brass so I don't know how long it will last but so far it's still like new.

Shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor limits your choice of manufactures. My cases have been cycled 2-3 times, while there are a few cases that the primer pockets seem loose. But using a magnifying glass to inspect the primer pocket prior to removing the spent primer, there is no indication that the pocket is leaking.

Neck sizing the cases using bushing dies, hopefully will be easier on the cases and extend their life. I have read some articles and posts that some people feel Hornady has improved the quality of their brass. Hopefully thats the case, because for some of us we don't have other options.

I only use hornady for my grendel, I just buy factory loads and reuse them, to buy the brass from them new is kinda expensive, the hornady .223 superperformance 75 BTHP match ammo I have been getting now has crimped primers like LC brass does so you have to swage the brass before reloading them. some of my grendels have been reloaded 8 times now and still going strong Ive heard of around 10 then the primer pockets get loose, I need to invest in a garaud annealer down the road my .223 normally crack around 8-9 reloads, if I get an annealer that number would go up.