• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady creedmoor brass

KT35

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2011
VA
I have been reloading 6.5 creedmoor for a buddy. The first 100 piece he ordered looked like normal Hornady junk brass. I uniformed the primer pockets, uniformed primer hole, and so on.

The second bunch of 100 he ordered that came in this week are a bit different.
The primer pockets are so tight that I can't get the uniformer in the pocket. Also the brass is anealed! The first batch wasn't.

Did hornady change their brass or their process?

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or heard something.

KT

Maybe they changed the process and the brass will last a little longer.

Re: Hornady creedmoor brass

Hornady brass from my ar are anealed and their brass is great especially 300 win

I just bought brass that was not annealed......had to do it myself....now I feel ripped off!

Ummm, the normal process is that ALL bottleneck rifle cases are annealed after final caseforming.

The commercial stuff is then polished and no visible coloration is left.

The military stuff is NOT polished afterward. What I've been told (more than one source) is that part of the purpose is a QC check--inspectors and production workers can tell on sight whether the cases are annealed, AND whether the anneal goes down far enough. I also personally believe it is also to make sure on inspection that annealing does not go down too far.

I've been around loading up a small amount of Hornady 6.5 CM brass, and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary. All three lots are consistent among themselves, and also between lots. No problems of any sort, except for running the ram up to fast and bashing a caseneck on the expander ball in the sizing die--but that's not the brass's fault.

First off your description of "normal Hornady junk brass" is way off base. Hornady brass is excellent brass. Been using it in .308, .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor for years. Your brass prep is stuff people do to even Lapua brass.

As to the question, Grump got it right.

I bought some blemished brass from midway and it had some issues with primmer pockets and flash holes. Just prepped and shot it was blemished after all. maybe he bought some of it.

I purchased two 50pc boxes from Creedmore Sports. Both boxes had the same lot # but one was polished and one was not (still had the annealed look). Go figure.

When the Creedmoor first came out the brass was softer than normal. It is my understanding that Hornady has corrected that problem. The brass was soft enough that I would have loose primer pockets with as few as three firings duplicating the factory load data. The first brass did not show any signs of annealing as it does today.I would assume if you have brass that does not show the obvious sign of annealing it is the old style.

A couple of my boxes came not annealed and had a chamfer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off your description of "normal Hornady junk brass" is way off base. Hornady brass is excellent brass. Been using it in .308, .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor for years. Your brass prep is stuff people do to even Lapua brass.

As to the question, Grump got it right. </div></div>
I wouldn't say that Hornady is excellent brass. I would say Lapua is excellent brass.

If it were excellent it wouldn't have come half polished and half anealed. It also wouldn't have a weight difference of almost 9 grains in a lot of 50. It wouldn't have a .09 diffence in length in a lot of 50.

KT

Thanks guys for the input.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off your description of "normal Hornady junk brass" is way off base. Hornady brass is excellent brass. Been using it in .308, .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor for years. Your brass prep is stuff people do to even Lapua brass.

I wouldn't say that Hornady is excellent brass. I would say Lapua is excellent brass.

If it were excellent it wouldn't have come half polished and half anealed. It also wouldn't have a weight difference of almost 9 grains in a lot of 50. It wouldn't have a .09 diffence in length in a lot of 50.

KT </div></div>agreed,no it's not excellent brass.just hoping it will at least get on par as winchester brass someday,but for now it's all we got for creedmor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off your description of "normal Hornady junk brass" is way off base. Hornady brass is excellent brass. Been using it in .308, .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor for years. Your brass prep is stuff people do to even Lapua brass.

KT </div></div>

Well, the experiences sure do vary!

When I was checking case capacities for one of my best friends (yup, my son), the 6.5 Creedmoor stuff was +/- about 1.0 grain every time I ever weighed a batch. It duplicated what I found from a box of .308 brass (fired from 155-gr A-Max loads, the ONLY loads with that bullet that ever held MOA, and boy did I try on load development!).

Like the .308, this brass was purchased complete with powder, primer and bullet already installed. His reloads are quite consistently equal to the factory stuff.

Once again, I'm the luckiest guy in the world?

BTW, it's ALL annealed, some just has the visible evidence polished off.

KT</div></div>

As to the annealing, it's all annealed. The older lots were polished but Hornady found the process made a small burr in the mouth so they stopped polishing it and now you see the annealing better. If those two batches of brass you have are the same lot then let me know and I will contact Hornady and check on it. But it was probably two different lots of older and newer made brass.

As to length, the last lot of .308 Lapua I go ranged from 2.004 to 2.009. Does it matter? No because I run it through the Gracey trimmer anyways to uniform length, chamfer and deburr. I have actually tested to see if it would make a difference being .005" difference as far as accuracy and chrono numbers and it made no difference.

As to weight, it's not a good way to find internal capacity. Water testing is a better way but it's also time consuming and it's time better spent at the range as unless you are shooting 1000 yard benchrest you won't see the difference.

I have been shooting factory loaded 6.5 Creedmoor in matches since it came out and have won quite a few and placed high in quite a few more tactical matches. Wasn't because the ammo and components were bad.

You obviously don't like Hornady brass but to call it "junk" is far from the truth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As to the annealing, it's all annealed. The older lots were polished but Hornady found the process made a small burr in the mouth so they stopped polishing it and now you see the annealing better. If those two batches of brass you have are the same lot then let me know and I will contact Hornady and check on it. But it was probably two different lots of older and newer made brass.

As to length, the last lot of .308 Lapua I go ranged from 2.004 to 2.009. Does it matter? No because I run it through the Gracey trimmer anyways to uniform length, chamfer and deburr. I have actually tested to see if it would make a difference being .005" difference as far as accuracy and chrono numbers and it made no difference.

As to weight, it's not a good way to find internal capacity. Water testing is a better way but it's also time consuming and it's time better spent at the range as unless you are shooting 1000 yard benchrest you won't see the difference.

I have been shooting factory loaded 6.5 Creedmoor in matches since it came out and have won quite a few and placed high in quite a few more tactical matches. Wasn't because the ammo and components were bad.

You obviously don't like Hornady brass but to call it "junk" is far from the truth. </div></div>

+1 100%