• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hornady dies

blister

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Built a 22-250 7 twist. After first range trip tried to resize brass could not get shoulder to set back.002.Tried with shell holder in contact with die still no joy.This was with hornady custom grade die set.Now I have these exact same dies for 223 and they work just fine. Do you think its quality control? Maybe wrong cartridge? Think I'll go with redding dies next

I use the hornady FL dies for my 308 with no issues bumping back my shoulders 4 thousandths back for my ar10. Might be something wrong with the die I suppose

You need to sand off the die or shell holder to get the results you desire. It is somewhat common with custom barrels due to tighter specs. I suggest removing material from the shell holder since it is much cheaper to replace if you mess it up.

Already tried sanding down shell holder gave up returned dies .going with redding .DId not at first because they were out of stock.WasThinking barrel would be ready on time and panic purchased hornady. Barrel went six weeks over quote regretted purchase almost immediately

I wonder if your chamber was reamed a bit long, or the die was reamed a bit short... do you have chamber gauges?

EDIT: upon further thought I think this is backwards... see below

Last edited:
Hate to burst your glimmer of hope....but I have that issue with Redding 358win dies. Not sure what the deal is. Cases seem fine. Bolt closes fine. I'm just gunna load em a 2nd time and see what they measure after that. Resizing 308 cases so thought maybe that was playing a role. The gun was a 308 bored out to 358 so that is possibly the issue too.

Not gunna bother me. It's shooting straight and I will never fire the cases enough times to really care as it's mostly a hunting rifle.

actually - after re-reading the OP, I'm going to re ask my thought/question - I wonder if you have an undersized chamber , or maybe you're running a really soft load?- sounds like your brass isnt being stretched enough for the die to resize

can you carefully measure all the dimensions of a piece of virgin brass, load it, fire it, measure it again, resize it and measure it again?

actually - after re-reading the OP, I'm going to re ask my thought/question - I wonder if you have an undersized chamber , or maybe you're running a really soft load?- sounds like your brass isnt being stretched enough for the die to resize

can you carefully measure all the dimensions of a piece of virgin brass, load it, fire it, measure it again, resize it and measure it again?

This is my thought as well, that the shoulder might already be set back far enough that the die isn't making contact with it. Definitely suggest comparing a piece of virgin brass with 1x fired brass to see what the measurements are.