• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady ELD Broken Tips

Islander

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    Cody, WY
    I’m testing different bullets and loads in my new Valkyrie build. Several times I’ve had the red tips break off of the 88 gr. ELD bullets as the round feeds from the mag. It usually ends up preventing the cartridge from going fully into battery. Haven’t had any issues with the Sierra tips, but they seem to be a softer material. Anyone else experience this?

I've seen it with the 5.56mm 88s, and with the 6.5mm 123s as well. It usually occurs with a mag that causes the feeding round to jam into the feed ramp and fuck up the works. With good mags (ASCs have been best for me with Grendel cases), broken tips don't seem to be an issue, for me.

Do you have adjustable gas? What's your ejection look like?

I've seen it with the 5.56mm 88s, and with the 6.5mm 123s as well. It usually occurs with a mag that causes the feeding round to jam into the feed ramp and fuck up the works. With good mags (ASCs have been best for me with Grendel cases), broken tips don't seem to be an issue, for me.
    I am using ASC mags. It happened first with a Stoner, then thinking it might be the mag I switched to the ACS.

Don’t have an adjustable gas block but the ejection looks fine. Cases are landing about 4-5 feet away and between 4 and 5 o’clock.

I think 3-4:30 is 'optimal' and 4:30-6 is short-stroking, so you're probably fine. I was wondering if you might be running the gun over-gassed and the increased bolt velocity was causing it. When you run the bolt slowly while watching through the port, how does the round look to be hitting the ramp? Sounds like it very well might be magazines in your rifle.

I think 3-4:30 is 'optimal' and 4:30-6 is short-stroking, so you're probably fine. I was wondering if you might be running the gun over-gassed and the increased bolt velocity was causing it. When you run the bolt slowly while watching through the port, how does the round look to be hitting the ramp? Sounds like it very well might be magazines in your rifle.
    If I hand close the bolt I don’t see any issue, they seem to load fine and track in the ramps. It’s really random and I’ve had only 4 break out of about 50 rounds. Still it’s not something I want to have happen even occasionally, as I’m sure it will happen at the worst possible time, lol. I’m think of contacting Hornady and asking them if this is something they are aware of or if that particular style of bullet isn’t recommended for semi-autos. I have some good results with the Sierra tipped 77’s and a few other non tipped bullets, but the best so far have been the 88 ELD’s.

If I hand close the bolt I don’t see any issue, they seem to load fine and track in the ramps. It’s really random and I’ve had only 4 break out of about 50 rounds. Still it’s not something I want to have happen even occasionally, as I’m sure it will happen at the worst possible time, lol. I’m think of contacting Hornady and asking them if this is something they are aware of or if that particular style of bullet isn’t recommended for semi-autos. I have some good results with the Sierra tipped 77’s and a few other non tipped bullets, but the best so far have been the 88 ELD’s.

That's a real bummer. I shoot tons of ELDMs in my 6ARCs, but don't have any 224Vs so can't really give feedback there. They're a great bullet for the price so I hope you get it figured out!

Based on reports of Hornady cs for blown up bullets, I’d expect them to not acknowledge an issue, but to offer to replace the “problem” Box of bullets.

I had this happen after swapping my mil spec buffer spring with a geissle spring.