• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hornady frontier 223?

Raufoss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
Missouri
I wonder if anyone here have tested the Hornady frontier 223 rem ammo in a custom rifle bolt?

I am thinking about getting some to break in my new 26 inch 223 rig and also maybe run a local match (0-600).

What kind of SD's and accuracy they offer for the price point. I'm looking for the 75gr.

Bought a couple hundred 55gr rounds of this for a AR compition. My gun is a Stag 3gun, I got a lot of key holed hits. Some observing noted some off sounding rounds. The barrel twist (1:8) should have handled the bullet used. Sooooooo buy some and test before making a big buy

Last edited:
I shoot the 75 gr stuff alot, it's cheaper than Hornady Black, run the 75 great in my home defense AR. Keep in mind it's 5.56 so I'm not sure how it would do in a 223 bolt gun. I started reloading and haven't shot much of it since. I do keep it stock piled. I would recommend running some of the Hornady Black as well as the Frontier to see how each perform. The black is 223 with the 2nd version of Hornadys 75 gr bthp, the Frontier has what's called the T2 75gr bthp which is also used in the TAP stuff. Different ogive profiles. What are the specs of the rifle your looking to shoot? The frontier is consistently 1.5 moa out of my 18" SPR and my 16" with a Ballistic Advantage Premium series SPR profile
It's consistently 1.2-1.5 MOA so at least it's consistent. I've laid down and wailed on a IPSC at 700 with my SPR with the frontier. Just not sure the accuracy is tight enough for serious competition.

Attachments

• 20181022_145741.jpg
    20181022_145741.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 136
It's a 26 inch ptg wylde reamer spec.

I'd like to find a inexpensive and still decent factory load for training and to salvage the brass.

Another load to possibly take a look at is the IMI 77gr OTM. Midway has sales on it at times. I've also had good luck with the Magtech/CBC 77gr loads.

I'll test the Frontier as soon as my 223 is back from the gunsmith. I`ve also bought 73gr ELD-M superformance to try out.

I had real good luck with the 55s. Accurate and hot. So I bought 6 more cases. And it's a different lot number and sucks. Not as accurate as the first lot I used

I have cases of 75 grain Hornady Super Performance but it blows primers in everything I try it in. I called Hornady and they don't care.

I had a box of 55 grn and 20 something of the 150 round box the primers didn't ignite. I told myself i'd never buy them again... a month ago I ran them again and had consistant hits at 550 ish on an 8 inch plate in some decent wind. Not one failure. SD was like 20 and velocity i believe was around the higher end of 2900.

I ordered a 20rd box of each of their match ammo in all the weights to test out.
Didn’t realize they made them.

Superformance shoots like a shotgun out of everything I have. It's just too hot imo. Maybe in a bolt gun with a nice barrel. Haven't found the Mag tech anywhere but supposed to be good. The Frontier is available locally for me so it's my go to factory 75gr load. Norma Match with 77s shoots better but it's 20$+ a box versus 12 for the Frontier. If I need the best possible accuracy and I can't handle ad I go with the Norma Match. Great stuff.

I've had good luck with the 53 gr super performance. Hit a groundhog at 680 and a goose sized target at 530 with a 223 desert tdch

$8/box for the 75gr at Sportsman’s right now, $190/case. Other weights even less.

I've tested the 73 gr eld-m superformance load and it give me 20 fps SD's and shoot around 1 inch at 100 yards.

In my 26 inch long troated wylde chamber they exit at 2965 fps.

Next ammo to test is 75gr bthp superformance and Federal GMM Berger 73gr.

I'm waiting on 75gr frontier.

Reactions: hughmac4