• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hornady Frontier: A (Very) Modest Test

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
I normally reload for my ARs but thought it would be handy in case of emergency to see what factory ammo gave reasonable performance. A fellow shooter had recommended the Frontier line, and knowing that at least two of my ARs preferred Hornady bullets, I bought three boxes of the 5.56 NATO BTHP Match ammo in 62, 68 and 75 grain variety.

At the range, I fired 5 rounds of each in three ARs: one with a Krieger barrel, one with a DPMS and one with a 16" light barrel of unknown origin. As I said, a modest test.

At 100 yards off a rest, all three Frontier varieties printed into 1 MOA or slightly better from each AR.

Since I was interested only in consistency and accuracy potential, I did not run these over my chronograph.

While I prefer my reloads to go 1/2 MOA or better, the rifle-to-rifle consistency of the Frontier ammo impressed me, especially since it is (relatively) reasonably priced.

Cheers,
Richard

I was looking at this brand a couple of days ago and thought it might be worth a look. Just to have some around when I take the grandkids out or spare just in case type of situation.

The 5.56 stuff is crimped, the 223 stuff might not be I think it was though. I tried the 55 grain stuff it was ok. The 68 grain load shot right around an inch and the SD was about 20 which I thought wasn't bad for cheap match ammo. Out of a 20" barrel the 68gr ran about 2750 over the chrono.

I’ve had really good luck with the frontier 55s. My buddy uses it in a Larue to hit shoot steel out to 500. You wouldn’t believe the size stuff he hits with it regularly.

Some people have had to blow up guns though and in my experience some lots are much more accurate than others