• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady GMX 55gr 224”

All~American

Was almost in the military
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2021
Tennessee
I need a Hornady bullet expert. I’m ordering a few boxes of Hornady’s 55gr GMX bullets to reload in 5.56 but I have a question. Are all of their 55gr bullets made with the polymer tip or do they produce them with and without it? I prefer the polymer tip but have found that many third party sellers advertise this product either without the tip or it’s just cut out from the photo’s margins. Problem is I can’t tell which it is with some of these people’s pics and would greatly appreciate an answer from someone who knows (I did try Hornady but big surprise that they didn’t answer lol).

I have a few hundred rounds of factory loaded TAP 5.56 55gr GMX. There is no polymer tip on any of mine, it looks much like an OTM.

Reactions: All~American
The Hornady 55 grain GMX .224" projectile is a monolithic gilding-metal hollow point. It does not have a polymer tip. It's significantly longer than a typical lead-core/jacketed FMJ bullet. The bullet is a blind to barriers projectile, though accuracy/precision is not on par with say, the Speer Gold Dot projectiles in this caliber. The relief band also serves as a cannelure.

55 gmx vs 55  fmj 05.jpg

The Hornady 55 grain V-MAX does have a polymer tip. It's a varmint bullet; it has inadequate terminal ballistic properties for a self-defense load. It does however produce good accuracy/precision for target shooting. This projectile is available with and without a cannelure.

55 v-max comparison 01.jpg

Reactions: Basher
I appreciate the feedback Molon, but from what I’ve seen it appears that they do make it with a polymer tip. At least that’s what Hornady advertises and OpticsPlanet (which is where I ordered them from). Both screenshots and their descriptions are from selecting Hornady’s and OpticsPlanet’s 22. Cal 55gr GMX bullets.

Attachments

• A20B63F5-E4FC-45BB-A9BF-654A35C6079F.png
    A20B63F5-E4FC-45BB-A9BF-654A35C6079F.png
    448.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 9E2AFADC-009C-422F-9BA3-DA0C2985E25E.png
    9E2AFADC-009C-422F-9BA3-DA0C2985E25E.png
    685.9 KB · Views: 98
I appreciate the feedback Molon, but from what I’ve seen it appears that they do make it with a polymer tip. At least that’s what Hornady advertises and OpticsPlanet (which is where I ordered them from). Both screenshots and their descriptions are from selecting Hornady’s and OpticsPlanet’s 22. Cal 55gr GMX bullets.

Look at the title that you posted for this thread. Then re-read what I actually wrote in my above post, "55 grain GMX .224" projectile," and then re-look at the picture of the actual 55 grain GMX .224" projectile that I posted.

The pictures that you posted are nothing but stock pictures from Hornady of larger caliber GMX projectiles.

Reactions: Basher
Look at the title that you posted for this thread. Then re-read what I actually wrote in my above post, "55 grain GMX .224" projectile," and then re-look at the picture of the actual 55 grain GMX .224" projectile that I posted.

The pictures that you posted are nothing but stock pictures from Hornady of larger caliber GMX projectiles.

I see what you mean. I checked Hornady’s ballistic sheets on all of their TAP loads and it does actually show 55gr GMX rounds with and without the polymer tip. But I think the polymer tips are strictly TAP Barrier meaning I’m most likely not going to find them as reloading components in bulk

. . . I checked Hornady’s ballistic sheets on all of their TAP loads and it does actually show 55gr GMX rounds with and without the polymer tip. But I think the polymer tips are strictly TAP Barrier . . .

I’m not sure why you’re having difficulty understanding this, but the Hornady 55 grain GMX .224” projectile does not have a polymer tip; not as it is sold by Hornady as a reloading component nor as it is found in the Hornady factory loaded 55 grain, 5.56mm and 223 Remington, GMX TAP Barrier ammunition.

hornady_55_gmx_reloading_box_01_resized-02b.jpg

hornady_223_55_grain_gmx_tap_barrier_box 02b.jpg

556_gmx_tap_barrier_box_02_resized-02b.jpg

I’m not sure why you’re having difficulty understanding this, but the Hornady 55 grain GMX .224” projectile does not have a polymer tip; not as it is sold by Hornady as a reloading component nor as it is found in the Hornady factory loaded 55 grain, 5.56mm and 223 Remington, GMX TAP Barrier ammunition.

View attachment 7549491

View attachment 7549492

View attachment 7549493

This is a 55gr GMX TAP Urban bullet with a polymer tip. As I said, some of them have it, some of them don’t it appears. The description and photo says it has one. As I’ve already said, I won’t be finding these in bulk as a reloading component obviously.

Attachments

• D1B457C8-3127-4870-B5C3-18B3775E2134.png
    D1B457C8-3127-4870-B5C3-18B3775E2134.png
    402.3 KB · Views: 103
This is a 55gr GMX TAP Urban bullet with a polymer tip. As I said, some of them have it, some of them don’t it appears. The description and photo says it has one. As I’ve already said, I won’t be finding these in bulk as a reloading component obviously.

No, it isn't. The bullet in that pic is not a GMX bullet. The 55 grain TAP Urban load shown in your picture uses the Hornady 55 grain V-MAX projectile which is a lead core/jacketed varmint bullet; the same bullet I posted a picture of in my original post in this thread.

Your picture . . .

tap urban 02.jpg

My picture of the 55 grain V-MAX bullets . . .

55 v-max comparison 01.jpg

Last edited:
My
No, it isn't. The bullet in that pic is not a GMX bullet. The 55 grain TAP Urban load shown in your picture uses the Hornady 55 grain V-MAX projectile which is a lead core/jacketed varmint bullet; the same bullet I posted a picture of in my original post in this thread.

Your picture . . .

View attachment 7549573

My picture of the 55 grain V-MAX bullets . . .

View attachment 7549575

My bad man sorry to make that so confusing. I appreciate the lesson, now I know for sure what I’ll be getting 👍🏼

Yeah, TAP Urban (P/N: 83276) =/= TAP GMX Barrier (P/N: 81255). They may both be under the TAP banner, but the Urban load in your photo is not the same projectile as the GMX Barrier. The GMX does not have the polymer tip.

Yeah, TAP Urban (P/N: 83276) =/= TAP GMX Barrier (P/N: 81255). They may both be under the TAP banner, but the Urban load in your photo is not the same projectile as the GMX Barrier. The GMX does not have the polymer tip.
Gotcha gotcha. Any thoughts on the performance of the batch you loaded? Seems they sometimes get a bad rep on accuracy in the forums.