• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady GS1500 problems

SierraSR25

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2014
Jacksonville, North Carolina
My Hornady GS1500 seems to lose calibration after a few weighings. I calibrate it every time I use it and just now I noticed it'll zero out... and then after maybe five rounds of loading 43.2 grains, I'll get a weight of 43.0. I'm using a Lee perfect powder measure so that seems normal to me. Well then I check the zero and it shows -.2 so I tare it and check the last charge and it reads 43.6. There's absolutely no consistency and I'm wondering if this is something I'm doing wrong or is it time to invest in a charge master. Last time at the range I had an ES of 46fps and noticed my groups starting to open up so I was leading to believe it was something in my hand loads. Any info would be great help. Thanks guys.

1) Call the manufacturer and discuss the problem
2) Leave it on for at least 30 minutes. I leave my on continuously.
3) Does the weight vary depending on where the object is on the pan? If so, it needs service.
now, I have been using digital scales since early in the '80s and never had the problem but here are some issues:
a) Are there fluorescent lights nearby and do they flicker or hum at all?
b) are there any drafts and is the pan protected with a "windshield?"
c) is the scale level?
d) has the scale moved at all?
e) have you used any aerosols sprays near it?
f) do you have electric motors on the same circuit?
g) have you considered a power conditioner?

1) Call the manufacturer and discuss the problem
2) Leave it on for at least 30 minutes. I leave my on continuously.
3) Does the weight vary depending on where the object is on the pan? If so, it needs service.
now, I have been using digital scales since early in the '80s and never had the problem but here are some issues:
a) Are there fluorescent lights nearby and do they flicker or hum at all?
b) are there any drafts and is the pan protected with a "windshield?"
c) is the scale level?
d) has the scale moved at all?
e) have you used any aerosols sprays near it?
f) do you have electric motors on the same circuit?
g) have you considered a power conditioner?

Thanks for all the troubleshooting I'll be sure to check everything for certain when I get home but I can answer some things now.
-It reads the same no matter where the pan is on the scales pad.
-There are no fluorescent lights around
-Before I get set up it close the vent on the ceiling for the ac and I make sure I don't even breath over top of the scale.
-I use aerosol case lube on the table but I always put the scale back in its little hornady box with the pan and 100g weight.

I'm definitely going to call Hornady but with it being a $30 scale, I'm really not surprised just slightly aggitated. I know of quite a few guys using this scale with no problems.

Mine is acting up too and I have only used it in four or five settings mine will not stay powered long before shutting its self off unless I am constantly weighing powder. Right now the scale fluctuates between 1.3-2.2 grains bouncing constantly. I don't have any florescent lights on or any of the listed items above. I have changed the batteries too. Maybe this cheap scale is a hunk of junk but i figured it had Hornady on it so it might be good to go.

Mine is acting up too and I have only used it in four or five settings mine will not stay powered long before shutting its self off unless I am constantly weighing powder. Right now the scale fluctuates between 1.3-2.2 grains bouncing constantly. I don't have any florescent lights on or any of the listed items above. I have changed the batteries too. Maybe this cheap scale is a hunk of junk but i figured it had Hornady on it so it might be good to go.

Yeah! and like I said I know more than one guy who use it with no problems. I didn't get a chance to call Hornady today, but I did have a chance to order the charge master against my wife's better judgement. haha

With my digital scale I have to let it "warm up" for about 15 minutes and then I put close to max weight on it and take it off then out it back on about 10 times then calibrate. Right on the dot every time after doing this. Electronic scales are finicky sometimes