• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady LNL AP coming, What to get with it?

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
I do all of my match rounds with my Rock Chucker, and was doing my pistol rounds on the Lee Classic Turret. Time for the LCT to go bye bye and get into a progressive.

For now I will be doing 223 and 9mm.

I have the following in the shopping cart. (I already have a Forster 223 Die Set)

Hornady LNL AP Progressive Press
Hornady Die Bushings (10 pack)
Hornady Shell Plate for 223 and 9mm (#8 & #16)
Hornady Powder Cop Die
Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Nitride 3-Die Set 9mm Luger

Am i missing anything?

I use Varget for my 223, but hear it won't meter that well. So probably will be testing some other powders.

Re: Hornady LNL AP coming, What to get with it?

Since you already handload, I'm assuming you've got the rest of the usual stuff...nothing else special needed for the LNL. I really like mine...

I have had issues with metering Varget (being a stick powder), but it's related to vibration/shaking of the press when running a case through the decapping/sizing die because the top of my bench isn't heavy enough. Movement of the powder drop shakes the powder around and "compresses" it within the meter. I'm going to reinforce my benchtop so it doesn't move when cranking the handle, I'm confident it will help the problem.

Dont forget you have to flare your cases or, seat boat tail bullets. And since your going to run the Powder Cop die your going to need the extra die station for it so, you'll have to expand at the powder measure station. Hornady makes a powder-through expander insert http://www.hornady.com/store/Powder-Through-Expanders/

I flare .223 a little and .40S&W on mine with the powder measure and it works great. Its a VERY good press.

Thanks for the info guys.

Instead of the cop, I need the taper crimp for my 9mm rounds. But will still want the cop for the 223.

I think I got all I need for now
smile.gif

I have set of Lee Deluxe 4 die set in 9mm. Are they too short to use in the Hornady AP?

A2520 meters great and gives me the same kind of performance that Varget does. You can get more of it in a case because it stacks more efficiently than Varget. I don't know what kind of temp stability record it has though.