• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady LNL Auto Charge Powder Dispenser

Re: Hornady LNL Auto Charge Powder Dispenser

I got one pretty early serial #1297. Worked pretty slick but I had to set it on it's slow setting and also put in 2gr (each time you hit mode it adds .2gr before it starts it's trickle feature) delay to allow it to slow down enough to not overcharge my 260 loads of H4350. I used it for a couple months and the lil buzzer started to fade when it tells you the charge is done. I called Hornady and got a return number and sent it back with some recommendations.

Even on the slow setting it spun too fast and loaded up a LOT of powder in the tube and even with the extra slowdown before going to trickle it still would drop a clumpof kernels which caused a lot of overcharges. I thought either the tube needed to be smaller diameter, the inlet needed to be smaller or the tube needed to be spun slower to not have so much powder lying in the tube.

I got another unit back a couple of weeks later and was a higher serial number. No note or anything about my thoughts but it is noticeably slower and can now be run at the regular speed with no extra delay needed. I'd say now it's 99% right spot on with the very occasional .1 grain over which I've found is about 2 kernels of H4350. For prob the first 200 rounds or so I checked each charge on my Ohaus beam scale and it was dead on. I'm very happy with the unit now and now sure if I got one that slipped thru or they have made changes to the later models or they intentionally slowed my unit down since I only load for rifle rounds and am not worried about the unit taking a few seconds longer to drop a dead on charge.

I've not had an RCBS, Pact or Lyman to compare it to and have for the past 30 years or so loaded all my loads with a powder measure and trickled in the last with a beam scale. I'm very happy with the Hornady now and have no problem using the loads from it for our 1000 yard plate matches. I don't like change but this is one I can live with.

Topstrap

Re: Hornady LNL Auto Charge Powder Dispenser

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll give it a shot, I'm sure the early production models have been weeded out on Midway already.