• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady LnL bushings vs Turret press

TxWelder35

WELDERAT0R
Minuteman
  • Oct 17, 2018
    DFW
    Buying my first reloading press and wanted a couple of opinions before I pulled the trigger on one. I know I don't want to spend a bunch of time setting dies so right now I'm looking at some thing like the redding/rcbs turret press or a RCBS rock chucker with hornady LnL bushings, or just the hornady LnL press. As of right now I only plan on reloading precision rounds for my 260 maybe some 300blk in the future.

Does any one have any opinions going with a turret press over the LnL bushings? The rock chucker/bushing combo would be cheaper but I don't mind spending the money on a turret press if the quality of ammo and product its self is noticeably better

For the price of a redding t7 I could buy the whole hornady kit, how ever the powder thrower/trickler/scale will be of no use to me because I already got a Chargemaster 1500 for powder.

Thoughts and suggestions?

I have the a Hornady LnL single stage and progressive. I like the bushing setup and have no problems producing accurate ammo. The problem with the kits is that it comes with some things that are cheap and you are going to end up upgrading later. The scale that comes with the Hornady kit is crap. The hand primer and trickier work but are kind of cheap. That said it is an inexpensive way to get started.

I recently bought the Lyman 8-Station Turret Press. It seems we’ll made and I can leave me dies set up and adjusted. Currently loading 300WM and 243 with it and it seems to do a great job. You can also get extra turrets for it. I’m sure others will add to the thread.

Mike

Reactions: Rhed
    I am using the single stage Hornady from the start and have zero complaints. Getting great SD's and consistent results. I bought the kit and use the chargemaster and the cheaper parts are throw aways but for the first year no complaints whatsoever. I spent money on good Redding competition dies and good compoments and will slowly upgrade to a Giraud and FX AI powder dispenser. Having a good mentor and time spent and a good set of calipers are much encouraged

I own and have used dozens of presses. From my grandfathers rusty Herters to currently a Dillon 550 and a Forster Co-Ax that sit on my bench.

The Forster changes dies almost as fast as rotating a turret, it requires no shell holders, and it seats so straight with any dies you will never need to worry about runout or concentricity. It loads incredible match ammo with no modifications out of the box.

IMHO buy once cry once get the Co-Ax.

Reactions: Rhed
    I own a Dillon 550B, RCBS Rock Chucker, Hornady Lnl single-stage and a Forster Co-Ax.
    Of all those, the Co-Ax is my favorite but my Hornady also gets a lot of work. After the move in 2018 my Dillon is gathering dust and so is my RCBS.
    I converted the RCBS to the LNL bushings but, due to minor spec differences, the dies set up on either don't interchange.
    I would advise that you stay away from. buying one of the "kit" reloading setups. Research well and buy just the actual pieces you are going to need. Also, be sure you get a top notch powder measure and scale.

I also agree with avoiding the kit approach.
    Get a decent press.
    Get excellent dies.
    Quality scale.

I run a lee Classic turret.
    If I was to replace it it would be a Dillon 550.

Do some studying.
    The sticky’s here are full of great info.

You don’t have spend a lot of money to load great ammo.

Generally I find extra $$$ buys more convenience and speed.

Last edited:
    Forster CoAx>Turret Press>LNL

The LNL introduces misalignment into presses that previously may not have had any. My LNL converted RC sits in the corner waiting to be converted back.

I have RCBS Rockchucker, the Partner press, a Harrell's and the Lock and Load auto system.
    I've been loading for over 30 years and absolutely do not see any need for the L&L bushings.
    They cost money for every set of dies and speed up die changing by just a few seconds.
    I'm not in that big of a hurry where 15 seconds will determine whether I will get my reloading done or not.

I recently bought the Lyman 8-Station Turret Press. It seems we’ll made and I can leave me dies set up and adjusted. Currently loading 300WM and 243 with it and it seems to do a great job. You can also get extra turrets for it. I’m sure others will add to the thread.

Mike

Anyone have any more info on this press? Quite a bit cheaper than a redding t7 and not much more than a hornady LnL

That forester co-ax looks really nice, just not sure I can justify the extra cost

Gonna avoid a kit. Seems most of the stuff is junk anyway. I knew the scale and powder thrower weren't going to work for my application anyway hence why I got the chargemaster 1500

I'm an outlier I think. I use Lee presses. I have a breech lock single stage challenger (the $65 one) and a Loadmaster. The single stage is for precision, the loadmaster is pistol. Have had many thousands of rounds out of the loadmaster, and about 1k out of the single so far. It replaced an older partner RCBS press. The partner is nice, but quite small. I haven't noticed any degradation in accuracy going to the lee.

I also like the lee breech lock bushing system much better than the hornady.

Anyone have any more info on this press? Quite a bit cheaper than a redding t7 and not much more than a hornady LnL

That forester co-ax looks really nice, just not sure I can justify the extra cost

Gonna avoid a kit. Seems most of the stuff is junk anyway. I knew the scale and powder thrower weren't going to work for my application anyway hence why I got the chargemaster 1500
    I have the Lyman Tmag II turret press. it was my first press that I bought probably 15 years ago. I think I have 6 turrets now, all loaded with different sets of dies. knowing what I do now after having loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds, I would probably get a single stage rather than the turret but it has served me well these many years and loads very accurate ammo. Any good single stage press with locking Rings will be almost as fast to change dies for as the turret.

When I bought that press I bought the kit that went along with it. I used the various tools in the kit for many years before upgrading things like the powder measure and scale. But the original tools in the kit were very functional and helped get me started in reloading without as much money.

Ordered the Lyman all american 8 station turret. It was on sale at midway for $187 and free shipping. Couldn't pass that up. Gets here tomorrow. Gonna give her a whirl! Can't imagine I'm gonna be disappointed

Ordered the Lyman all american 8 station turret. It was on sale at midway for $187 and free shipping. Couldn't pass that up. Gets here tomorrow. Gonna give her a whirl! Can't imagine I'm gonna be disappointed
    Looking forward to a review