• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Lock N Load AP EZ-JECT

arjuna70

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2009
Cranston, RI
I have decided to start reloading. I've been reading the old threads here and other forums and very helpful Reloading 101 by Doc. I wanted the opinion of some precision shooters from here about the Hornady press.

I shoot Bullseye pistol primarily and lots of 45ACP and 38spl. I would also load 9mm in the future but start with those two rounds. In terms of precision shooting I would like to load primarily .308 but also .223.

I have time constraints more than anything that's why I want to buy a progressive to start and hopefully in time, be able to increase my efficiency once I am comfortable with the process.

I was all set to buy the Dillion 550B but I keep hearing so many good things about the Hornady Lock N Load. It comes highly recommended from many different people.

For people that load 308 and 223 on the Hornady do they have any specific comments about this machine. I've read thread after thread about the Dillion 550 and 650. I wanted some more info about the Lock N Load before making my decision. Also where to get the newer model may also be helpful. Thanks.

Re: Hornady Lock N Load AP EZ-JECT

I just purchased a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP (with the new ez-ject feature) from Midsouth Shooters Supply, Great price, very friendly, & very fast shipping. They still show in stock, better hurry. With the free 1000 bullet offer from Hornady, it sealed the deal for me

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005095100

Shell plates are hard to come buy as well, must make sure they are the new style (in plastic box), the old style in cardboard box will not work on the press with the new ez-ject system.

I am very impressed with the Hornady so far, I plan on using it for the bulk of my reloading & my Redding T-7 turret press for my precision reloads.

A friend of mine is that author of that. He offered me the XL650 when he was getting rid of it.He helped them port the K.I.S.S. feeder over to the LnL, his was the first. His only real complaint about it was that the ejector interfering with the die above, which Hornady has now solved.

I've been tempted to get one myself since I would like the 5th station and the ability to change individual dies instead of an entire toolhead also looks appealing. I really don't like the powder dispenser on it though. I just sold a Hornady LnL dispenser.

So the Hornady is good enough to load .308 and .223 for accuracy? Not just for mass producing pistol rounds.

Its a solid press. AB is a very meticulous individual. When he first stated using it, he compared it to his Redding Ultramag. He measures everything (headspace, runout, the whole 9 yards...) and he didn't find any difference loading on the LnL.

You'll still need to weight your charges for stick powders though. Just replace the powder drop with a Dillon funnel die.

Why the Dillon funnel die, the Hornady one seems to work just fine, you just have to provide your own funnel.

I just got mine from Midsouth couple of weeks ago and I am impressed with the press. I was deciding between the Dillon 650 and the LNL AP and now I am glad that I picked the LNL without having the chance to try it out first (I did try the 650).
The press is solid and the LNL feature is partially what sold me on it, as I don't have much space for toolheads. In my opinion, it is a lot easier to change calibers than the XL650

When I got the press, all of the priming tubes were missing from the box for some reason. Midsouth suggested I give a call to Hornady since it would be silly to ship the press back and they were out of stock anyway. I called Hornady and after listening to about the funniest menu I've ever heard, the saleslady that answered apologized that they would not be able to ship till next day with replacements.

One more positive: I get 1000 free bullets!
grin.gif

Now the negative:
The main dealers Midway, Natchezz, MidSouth are out of stock on most items. I've had three different notifications from Natchess (best price) and when I called 2-3 hours later they were out every time. Then I got lucky with Midsouth. Also, I only have shell plate #1, because all the other ones I need are out of stock.
Allegedly, Hornady's Reloading is in the process of moving their production facility, once they are in place everything should get normal.

One might check with Sinclair for the shell plates as well, I found my 45acp shell plate there, it was not listed, which is why it was still available.

I keep looking at getting a full blown progressive for 223 and 9mm, both of which i would shoot more if reloading via single stage wasnt such a pain.

I like idea of mass producing ammo easily for both AR and 9mm, its all trigger time.

After much research i,m pert set on Hornady LNL, looking forward to cranking out ammo for AR

I've loaded tons of 223, 45 on my Hornady. I've also written extensive reviews here, and should be available with a search. The we ez ject system is supposed to solve the biggest problem with the AP. You can order the upgrade from Hornady for $29, and either start using the new shellholders or have your others upgraded by Hornady for $10/each.

I can say for certain that the Hornady LNL powder measure works better with stick powders than the Dillon.