• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady match brass results

Peteroy01

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Texas
just got in 100 cases. all cases within .004. all were within 2.005-.007 except 5 cases. 1 being 2.004 and 4 being 2.008 and i trimmed them cause im nuts. weighed 25 cases(gets old really fast).
avg-155.3
high-156.4
low-54

seems around here that people either love or hate hornady match. i like them so far but havent had any experiences except with win and horn. ive got some lapua coming in hopefully in a month and ill do the same test as ive done above. the main purpose was to see how much money can buy. if lapua puts out even better results i think ill just shit.
feel free to tell your joys or horrors or horn match.

Re: Hornady match brass results

Did you weigh them before or after trimming?

W69,

Trimming .004" isn't going to make much difference in the weight.

Peteroy,

Some of the old Hornady (1998) .308 Match box ammo didn't get annealed correctly, I've got several hundred which split necks on the first firing. I've got others I've reloaded 10-15 times without any problems. All in all it's usually very good brass.

HTH,
DocB

I got a great deal on 1000 pieces of once fired Hornady match brass from another hide member about 2 years ago. After tumbling resizing and trimming, I weight sorted them. I found a median weight and culled out anything .7 grains above that weight, and anything .7 grains below that weight. Out of 1000 cases I ended up culling about 60. To me that is outstanding. The even more interesting thing is that the ones that I culled out were all consistently about 1.5 to 2 grains light. Which meant those 60 pieces were probably an entirely different lot of brass..................... After shooting this brass for the past 2 years I have been REALLY satisfied with it. The only down side to it is that when buying it brand new its about as much as Lapua! If I could get another great deal on some once fired Hornady Match I would jump on it!

In short its great brass and has served me well.

This brass wouldn't be used for their Creedmoor ammo would it?

Hornady match brass is used in the Creedmoor but it's not .308 brass. The .308 isn't even the parent case of the 6.5 Creedmoor. The 30 TC is. The Creedmoor brass is excellent.

I just received a new box of 6.5 CM brass from Hornady. the packaging is new but i dont know if they changed the brass any. I herd rumors that they were supposed to make the brass a bit harder?I dont know. I havent had any trouble with the older brass yet. Lee

+1 on the Hornady Match 6.5 CM - the "new" packaged stuff Skeetlee was referring to is some of the best brass I have ever seen. On the earlier run of CM brass, you could tell the flash holes were pressed (still very good, though); but, on the newer stuff - I would damn near swear they were drilled. I was really surprised....and if it would ever stop raining in DFW I would go do some testing!
I also used Hornady match stuff back when Hornady introduced the .38TJ, which is basically a rimless Super. If the Creedmoor brass works as well as the .38TJ stuff did - I will not have to replace it anytime soon.