• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hornady match brass vs the rest

TXLEO

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2013
Central Texas
Where does Hornady match brass fall as far as weight and capacity to the others like Federal,. Winchester, Lapua etc. Is there a chart or spreadsheet somewhere it different brass characteristics?

I have a quite a lot of Hornady brass fired from Hornady 308 TAP ammo. The TAP brass that's a few years old weighs in around to 158-162 grains. Some very recent TAP brass that is now primer crimped is weighing in at 170 grains. The newest brass is a bit heavier than the older brass.

I'm seeing the same thing in some of my Winchester brass. The 3-7 year old stuff is 161-164 grains and the recent brass is weighing 170-172 grains.

I do segregate the heavier brass, but don't get too anal over weighing it.

I recently did some of my own capacity testing using about 17 types of 7.62 NATO Military brass and Commercial 308 Winchester brass. I found across the board, the heavier the brass, the less capacity it held. I've read over and over in reloading publications that weight doesn't necessarily mean the case will have less capacity, but that's not what I've found. I also did this with 5.56 NATO and 223 Remington brass and had the same results. A heavier case meant less capacity. I had brass samples going back to the Vietnam era up to the present.

Last edited:
A question regarding 308 cases if you don't mind: Did you find the cases with similar weights to have similar case capacity? Such as 1xx gr Hornady vs Winchester with the same weight.
I have a quite a lot of Hornady brass fired from Hornady 308 TAP ammo. The TAP brass that's a few years old weighs in around to 158-162 grains. Some very recent TAP brass that is now primer crimped is weighing in at 170 grains. The newest brass is a bit heavier than the older brass.

I'm seeing the same thing in some of my Winchester brass. The 3-7 year old stuff is 161-164 grains and the recent brass is weighing 170-172 grains.

I do segregate the heavier brass, but don't get too anal over weighing it.

I recently did some of my own capacity testing using about 17 types of 7.62 NATO Military brass and Commercial 308 Winchester brass. I found across the board, the heavier the brass, the less capacity it held. I've read over and over in reloading publications that weight doesn't necessarily mean the case will have less capacity, but that's not what I've found. I also did this with 5.56 NATO and 223 Remington brass and had the same results. A heavier case meant less capacity. I had brass samples going back to the Vietnam era up to the present.

A question regarding 308 cases if you don't mind: Did you find the cases with similar weights to have similar case capacity? Such as 1xx gr Hornady vs Winchester with the same weight.

Cases with similar weights had internal volumes that were close to one another. Not exact, but close.