• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady match brass

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
Is this stuff really any better than regular brass? I got 100 cases and sturggled to find 50 that weighed within 1 grain of each other. the rest were all over the place. The trim length varies a bunch too. I was gonna use this just for a seperat rifle to keep it sorted from the rem and win I already have but this is not good.

Re: Hornady match brass

god...i love the stuff....and pack 'em w/155amax.....12 twist barrel and it stacks the holes

under 600 not that much but at 800 and 1000 yes. You'll get a nice verticle string.

I agree with Timberwolf. I just bought some 7mm-08 Winchester cases to make some 260 brass out of an it was 10grs heavier from one bag to the next.

I then checked it for case cap. and there was a full grain of powder difference in the case cap. This will definatly make a difference at long range.

I didn't say it was going to make a bit of difference. I was just wondering why it was called MATCH when it is no better than regular. I want my handloads to be the least likely problem if I cant hit the target. If I cant group them well, its me not the loads.

On another note, These cases weigh around 150gr and my normal loads with rem cases weigh 170gr. How much variance can I expect if I load the lighter cases with my normal load of 43gr Varget and 175SMK's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...These cases weigh around 150gr and my normal loads with rem cases weigh 170gr.</div></div>

Huh? All my Hornady Match brass weigh in the neighborhood of 166gr.

Don

I got trimmed a 100 cases of the same lot number last night (Hornady match 308 win) and the case was very close to the same lenght before trimming. Don't but them in the caliber before trimming but by the turns of the trimmer handle and the gap at the stop all seemed real close to one another.

The thing I like most about the brass is that it offers a little more case capacity than others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...These cases weigh around 150gr and my normal loads with rem cases weigh 170gr.</div></div>

Huh? All my Hornady Match brass weigh in the neighborhood of 166gr.

Don </div></div>

Ditto! I have lots of Hornady brass and its real consistant!

Terry

Used loads of it and never weighed any of them. Simple prep, dropped some Varget and seated a 178 AMAX. Shot them to 1000 and got very good groups with no more vertical than Lapua and good ES/SD. My opinion has been and will continue to be that weighing brass is a waste of time that would be better off shooting.

Have you shot it yet? Don't pass judgment until you shoot it.

I've been going through it, put about 120 reloads (in Hornady Match 308 brass) through my gun and its' been shooting very well. Consistently under .5 MOA in my rifle at 100-500 yard ranges.

I've seen mixed results on the Hornady stuff, but my experience has been very positive. I do not weigh my brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditto! I have lots of Hornady brass and its real consistant!
</div></div>

I found the same thing. I bought a few boxes (308) just to try. Loaded it up and shot it. Had some real good groups with it. The brass is expensive and like I said I bought a few boxes just to try it.

Too funny...I am just now taking a break from preping 60 once fired Hornady .308 Match brass. Measured them and they are very close to being right on the money and I did not even have to trim them.

You have me wondering about the weight so I might weigh a few to see what I come up with.

I know my TRG-22 loved the factory Match Hornady 168g BTHP ammo.

Take care,Stan

Excellent brass, has worked just as well as Lapua for me.

The only question I have is, why choose it over Lapua? Or are you guys using it in sizes Lapua doesnt make?

It has a greater case capacity than Lapua. This translates to being able to get slightly more fps out of a load.