• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady match grade dies. Having issues

PRCslut

Private
Minuteman
New to reloading. I keep having to adjust my dies casing to casing. Doing .308 win 178 grain eldx, 42.6 gr of varget and aiming for 2.799 COAL. I run a rcbs summit. I run .336 neck tension. When I press down I hear a crunch from the powder. One cartridge I might get 2.81, then the next I might get 2.793, then the next I get 2.799, then I get 2.806… etc. I’m getting pissed. Please help.

Start using drop tubes to gain more volume for the bullet. Small crunch ain't bad but if its a good crunch, then it is.

Have you tried measuring them with an Ogive comparator?...I have found "discrepancies" in OAL with tipped bullets in the past

Untipped bullets as well - they are not all level and even at the tip and measuring from cartridge overall length will always have some variability.

Measuring base to ogive will help you narrow down if there’s a problem, and where it’s coming from.