• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady OAL gauge

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
So... is it just me or is it nearly impossible to get a dead straight measurment? I have the curved model, and have used the straight. Have used the Hornady and the SAC comparitors.... seems no matter what combo of tools the round does not enter the comparitor body dead straight.
Thanks guys

It is normal to get variation in those measurements, but it takes a little finesse to narrow it down.
The good news is that those measurements are not that sensitive and you get away with a little uncertainty in those values.

With the OAL Gage, the bullet wedges into lands based on friction and contact stress. There is always some variation on that depth just due to the shallow angles and materials.

With the comparator tools, there can be some error in the parallelism of the clamped on tooling, plus the difficulty of manipulating the sample to sit straight.

Some of this is due to the jaws of the calipers being offset to each other. There is an anvil that makes that a little less sensitive to technique, but even that tool cannot sit dead flat in line on the calipers.

1663741943720.png

There are other ways to make a sample cartridge at the length to touch lands, and all of them have their pros and cons. Even then, if you use caliper mounted comparators, you will need some finesse.

Some other comparator tools exist, but the ones that are dedicated to OAL or CBTO measurements are more expensive than the ones you clamp onto your calipers.

You may or may not want to put more effort or resources into this, but to be honest the whole goal is to get a starting point (CBTO at touch) from which to experiment with seating depth. Almost any number you start with good or bad, will need to be tested and the absolute value won't matter as long as you know how to repeat your setting. It will be your target tests that establish a hard number.

I use a cleaning rod down the muzzle in conjunction with the AOL gauge. While pushing the case and maintaining forward pressure put a finger on the end of the plastic rod and gently push bullet till it stops. Gently push (with other hand) the cleaning rod until it touches bullet. You can then work them together back and forth and feel the bullet contact the lands. I get consistent measurements this way. Just takes some practice.

A stripped bolt does not lie , those hornady tools are liars .

Reactions: TommyD11730
A stripped bolt does not lie , those hornady tools are liars .
I completely understand where you are coming from, but...
The old Stoney Point tools, now called Hornady, have their place.

Some guns are not traditional bolt guns and their particular features make the dummy round method more difficult.

I have also seen some folks damage their bolt because they didn't have the finesse to strip it and get it back together...

I recommend beginners setting out to get serious take every opportunity to run multiple methods when they can so that they get proficient for the ones where they cannot. See how many times the different methods give the same answer or when they do not.

They should pay attention to barrel and rifling detail dimensions and reamer details, as well as study bullet ogive geometry to start getting a feel for what a gun wants in terms of load development.

Sometimes the Hornady tools have lots of difficulty getting a consistent measurement because of the details of how the bore, chamber, and bullet, all play together. YMMV