• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady powder dispenser help

sch2046

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
Sunbury, OH
I have the powder dispenser and it sucks! I had to buy a separate scale to check every load dropped, they are all usually off. Someone said there was a trick to make the scale accurate, does anyone know what it was, someone said the straw trick,I looked on YouTube and found nothing.

Which powder dispenser?

If its a new Powder measure you have to clean the oil of the parts for it to work right.I used brake cleaner to degrease the parts.Remember to remove rubber o-ring first.There is a youtube video on how to clean it.

Regards,Mike

Which powder dispenser?
It is the lock n load auto charge powder scale dispencer. The scale is correct, maybe, 30% of the time. I use a balance scale and a dillon now to confirm the correct gr of powder. Which takes forever. I calibrate before every use and turn on 20 min prior to use to let it warm up.

Give Hornady customer service a call. They can help out and if it's found to have a problem then they can help you.

Calling Hornady is a good step.

Making sure there are no air disturbances - like breathing - near the scale is another.

A third is to try a different outlet (circuit) as there may be noise on the power line causing the scale to fidget.

A fourth, assuming the scale and dispenser are powered by a wall-wart transformer, is to get a pair of ferrite cores (Just an example here) and snap one on each end of the power cord. This can help with "noise".

But calling Hornady is never a bad idea.

+1 on the ferrite cores. I put two each on my acculab and rcbs scales. It eliminated drifting on the acculab and maintains zero better. The rcbs powder dispense waw fine just figured it couldn't hurt. Get the noise/line filters at Radio Shack.

There have been plenty of people around these parts cussing that dispenser since it came out. Shoulda done your research on that one. I know it resembles the RCBS but apparently not on the inside.