• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Primer Rupture - Why

bugshooter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Middle TN
I'm a relatively new owner of a RRA 20" Varmint with the .223 Wylde chamber.I picked up a box of Hornady Superformance Match 75 gr BTHP and went to the range yesterday. My barrel was clean prior to shooting and I shot a total of 45 rounds. (20 Hornadys and 25 Black Hills 68 gr remans). Did not clean the barrel at the range.

Ballistically, the Hornadys seemed to shoot hotter than the published ballistics data would suggest: (granted I only had 20 rounds and shot group(s) at 100, 200, 300, and 400. I was pleased with the grouping (.5 to 1 MOA with 10 mph wind)

Yards ----- Actual Drop ----- Advertised drop (2930 fps, 24" bbl)
100 ----- Zero ---------- +1.7"
200 ----- -1.1" ---------- Zero
300 ----- -8.0" ---------- -7.4"
400 ----- -21.1" ---------- -21.7"

The Hornady and JBM Calcs show about a 28-inch drop at 400 with a 100 zero.

With that said, I noticed today a black primer in the spent Hornady cases. On a close look, about half of the cases have a tiny reverse bulge in the center of the primer and one actually ruptured, blackening the firing pin indention.

I looked at the Black Hills and NATO cases I've shot and the firing pin indentions appear normal.

Any experience with the Hornady Superformance Match being loaded hot? Anyone have any field velocities for this ammo with a similar setup?