• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Hornady quality control. Who has seen this before?

aac_shooter

Silence is Golden
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2010
The Hill Country, Texas
So I got some new factory 88 grain ELD match Hornady 224 Valkyrie ammo today, along with Redding dies and Federal brass for my soon to be new Valkyrie build. I opened the first box of ammo and this is what I see. Who has seen this before?

Attachments

• 7968EF81-0A3E-467A-B34E-BAF05AACE269.jpeg
    7968EF81-0A3E-467A-B34E-BAF05AACE269.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 570
  • 771AB089-0EC4-4398-AE33-599442589BB0.jpeg
    771AB089-0EC4-4398-AE33-599442589BB0.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 573
I would give Hornady a phone call I am sure they will take care of it.

I had a supremely hot 308 round of TAP a few years back. They replaced 5 boxes.

They made no attempt to explain or justify, just said, “yea, this is bad, send it all back and we will replace.” At least they didn’t try to blame me.

I don’t buy TAP any more, my reloading is far superior to their factory efforts.

Reactions: Strykervet
I’ve never seen that before but I did have some Hornady 140 match bthp that had ogives that were about 20 thousands different

It happens. Hornady seems to have a bit more QC problems than some others. Good news is their CS is quite good. They’ll take care of it.

Reactions: Geno C.
That has happened to me with some federal 12 gauge shells when I was out trap shooting. Shit happens.

So I got some new factory 88 grain ELD match Hornady 224 Valkyrie ammo today, along with Redding dies and Federal brass for my soon to be new Valkyrie build. I opened the first box of ammo and this is what I see. Who has seen this before?
That ammo was supposed to go to the state of NY. I'd like an explanation of how you received ammo involved in operation Eldest Son?

Yep, I have one of those in my collection, a 6.5 140 ELD-M round.

About a year ago, I cracked open a box of older 208amax bullets. This was one of numerous boxes I had hat were a number of years old. Something just wasnt looking right. Put them on a scale. 178 grains. Hmm... I looked at a few more from the newly opened box. Same. I went to the shelf and grabbed another unopened box from the same lot. Same thing. 178 grains. Called Hornady. At first they were skeptical. I told them I had an additional 3 unopened boxes of 100ct from same lot. Sent all 5 boxes back. About 3 days later, I got a VERY poliye call from them. They wanted to know how many boxes of 208eld I would like.

Sh!t happens. Pay attention. Life isnt foolproof.

Reactions: BadDogPSD
A handful of times over the past 30 years or so... not a lot.

Heck, I still manage to do it to myself handloading!

Dating back to 6-sigma quality standards... 1 error per million opportunities.

When you make as many rounds as... ammo companies... they are probably at 8 or 9 sigma. But it happens.

I can tell you that my progressively-reloaded ammo is a LOT less than 6 sigma. But still worth doing!

Cheers,

Sirhr

A handful of times over the past 30 years or so... not a lot.

Heck, I still manage to do it to myself handloading!

Dating back to 6-sigma quality standards... 1 error per million opportunities.

When you make as many rounds as... ammo companies... they are probably at 8 or 9 sigma. But it happens.

I can tell you that my progressively-reloaded ammo is a LOT less than 6 sigma. But still worth doing!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Ah hem, 3.4 defects per million opportunities is six sigma. I guess this explains my first two wives.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I shoot almost entirely my own hand loaded stuff, and I still get to see that problem. Like it happened yesterday, actually.

Schtuff happens with a progressive press that auto primes from a magazine stack, but it gets caught before it goes into the collection tray on the press.

My QC-foo is better than Hornady's QC-foo, apparently.

Greg

Last time I seen something like that it looked like this.

H1402.png

Having said that, I don't buy a lot of factory ammo other than the occasional can't pass FGMM and of course the 2 I don't reload for 300BO and 5.56 When you're talking millions n millions a rounds and every now and then one gets by? It's a non issue and I'd put it on the shelf and keep it like a conversation piece.

Reactions: Strykervet
Last time I seen something like that it looked like this.

H1402.png

Having said that, I don't buy a lot of factory ammo other than the occasional can't pass FGMM and of course the 2 I don't reload for 300BO and 5.56 When you're talking millions n millions a rounds and every now and then one gets by? It's a non issue and I'd put it on the shelf and keep it like a conversation piece.

I've see in it from them actually, a long while back regarding their pistol caliber HP ammo that has the red rubber tip. The watered down stuff.

I can see if my mom can run down there and put a boot in an ass?

Reactions: 1J04
I've see in it from them actually, a long while back regarding their pistol caliber HP ammo that has the red rubber tip. The watered down stuff.

I can see if my mom can run down there and put a boot in an ass?

lol