• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hornady reloader kit

vader

Private
Minuteman
I have been in the market for a reloading setup for a bit now, and my dad recently pointed out the Hornady Lock N' Load Classic Kit that is on sale at Bass Pro right now. I haven't been able to find a ton of opinions on it, outside of the scale isn't good. I have 2 reloading scales that I use for my shotgun reloading (Lee and Lyman scales, I believe) that could replace it. Is the rest of the kit quality?

Re: Hornady reloader kit

It's a great kit to start. I quickly replaced two items; the trimmer with a Giraud Trimmer, and the scale with a Chargemaster. I still used the manual dispenser for pistol ammo.

I would definitely go with Hornady over the others because of the lock n load bushings. I makes it really easy to switch between calibers.

I don't know...It's not a bad start.

If you're hell bent on the lock and load bushings and have to have the press I wouldn't talk you out of it. But if it were me, I'd think about buying the press alone (if I had to have the L&L setup) and I'd buy everything else separately.

I think the press is great. The scale sucks, the hand primer sucks, the trickler sucks, OneShot sucks, and the dispenser is fine for ball and flake powder but cuts my extruded grains too often.
The book is good, and the funnel...meh.

All in all, it's a decent starter but you'll probably replace things eventually. It's good you have a scale already the kit scale reads every .2 grains and it drifts -0- <span style="text-decoration: underline">a lot</span> to boot. Worthless! They should've kept the beam scale in the kit.

I had a similar decision to make when I started reloading. I eventually opted to buy everything separate so that nothing would have to be replaced.

I recommend getting separate parts. The Hornady trickler is not very good - I got the monster powder trickler instead (you can find it online for $11). You can get a good used RCBS scale on ebay or use one of your current ones. A friend that has the Hornady reloading manual prefers my Lyman one but you can find plenty of free reloading data online, including a thread on here that links to a bunch of PDF copies. I like the Imperial sizing wax better than Hornady's spray. A funnel and loading tray are easy to get for cheap. If you only load one or two calibers, it's hard to beat the World's Finest Trimmer for speed and convenience (as well as accuracy). I have one that works for both .308 and .260.
The powder measure is pretty good but that is the only thing out of the whole kit. I got the Lock-N-Load AP for not much more than this kit costs and it comes with an offer for 500 free bullets (although the selection is limited). Once you factor that in, you can get a great press that's faster and buy a separate better scale and trickler for not much more money altogether. (It seats primers on the press so you don't need a hand primer and comes with a powder measure and bushings.)

I estimate that the total I spent on the above after selling the bullets for $100 was right around $465.

I bought the Lock N' Load Classic Kit and I like it a lot. I had never reloaded before and didn't know anyone that had reloaded.

I have replaced parts for reasons mentioned. But I had no idea what worked and what didn't or what was better.

Unless you have someone to guide you though the purchases. I would advise buy the kit. You can make bullets with it out of the box. Figure out what you like and don't like.

Either way you will end up with stuff you spent money on and don't use.

"I would definitely go with Hornady over the others because of the lock n load bushings. I makes it really easy to switch between calibers."

You can buy the Loc-N Load bushings separately. The adaptor fits any standard press. I love them and use them in a RCBS Rock Chucker press. Once you have your dies "set" you can change dies w/o having to go thru the setup again. Huge time saver.

As far as the kit goes, look at what you'd replace and buy accordingly.

OFG

i have a lee single stage press and use their quick change bushings too. every new set of dies gets a couple bushing picked up with it. I still double check every time i use them, but they've been right on every time so far.

even without switching calibers - switching from my FL die to my seating die only takes a quick push of the detent and a twist of the bushing and its back in the case.

Well, it seems to be getting mixed reviews. My main thing is that it is on a pretty good sale right now ($299 for the kit) and Hornady has the 500 bullets mail in offer.

I have a list of recommended parts based on a thread from another forum. I may compare prices for this kit vs. that setup. The other setup utilizes a number of Lee parts and RCBS Partner press.