• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady reloaders

kevin gabby

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2023
ANDOVER MN
I want to start reloading primarily 308 to start with looking at the hornady press.i been a machinist for 40 plus years so I want something g that I can keep things in close tolerances any suggestions out there what to look for for keeping the case in prime conditions etc

I have a couple of RCBS single stage presses that I like for loading rifle ammunition. I’m considering a Forster Co-ax to replace my summit press. I just can justify Area 419 cost for my use case (service rifle and hunting).

I used to recommend Dillon presses, especially for handgun calibers. Their current customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Didn’t used to be that way.

I had one of these from the late 1980s that I used for 25 years and gave away to my neighbor about eight years ago. I got the highest end German Prazipress a couple of years ago but I should’ve never given away the Hornady. It makes superb ammo, that is almost impossible to beat without spending multiples of the price

I don't think you can go wrong with really any single stange press from any company. Not trying to start a battle/debate, but if you're just starting off get a lee and save ya some coin for good dies. Hornady CS is great though but don't think you'll ever need it for a single stage.

I want to start reloading primarily 308 to start with looking at the hornady press.i been a machinist for 40 plus years so I want something g that I can keep things in close tolerances any suggestions out there what to look for for keeping the case in prime conditions etc
In order to keep cases in "prime condition" you'll want to take hard consideration for annealing them after every firing. And as far as a press goes, I highly recommend the Forster Co-Ax press as it makes for easy swapping out dies and not having to worry about case holders that might effect how the cases are sized. The Co-Ax can be very helpful when starting out experimenting to see what works and what doesn't.

In any case, you might find the following helpful to you in decided which single stage press really appeals to you most:

In order to keep cases in "prime condition" you'll want to take hard consideration for annealing them after every firing. And as far as a press goes, I highly recommend the Forster Co-Ax press as it makes for easy swapping out dies and not having to worry about case holders that might effect how the cases are sized. The Co-Ax can be very helpful when starting out experimenting to see what works and what doesn't.

In any case, you might find the following helpful to you in decided which single stage press really appeals to you most:
Screw that the Co-Ax is overrated, get a Redding T7 and never mess with changing dies again. I used a friend's Co-Ax and loaded 100 rounds to see if i could improve anything compared to my T7 and found the Co-Ax just as good.

I don't think you can go wrong with really any single stange press from any company. Not trying to start a battle/debate, but if you're just starting off get a lee and save ya some coin for good dies. Hornady CS is great though but don't think you'll ever need it for a single stage.
AGREED!!