• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady Steel Match Ammo

Re: Hornady Steel Match Ammo

I don't know, just something about steel case and not reloadable don't set well with me. i'm sure it shots well but i'm still staying away from it.

With this ammo, when they say "match" they mean three gun match.
I am sure it is reasonably accurate and did take a gander at it, but look at the velocities for the .308. It is just high enough to make major power factor from a gas gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone use this ammo. Price seems awesome for mathc grade ammo. Just wondering if the steel cases would have any affect on accuracy. </div></div>

Where do you see the deal? It suits me (a non reloader).

I am comfortable with soft steel case especially for bolt gun where chambering is controled

I think that when I hear objections to steel cases in terms of potential injury to firearms, I may be hearing excessive caution. They would be what I would consider mild steel or iron, and not a serious physical challenge to modern firarms. Additionally, being able to actually pick up spent brass with a magnet comes across as a plus to me.

I would strongly advise against trying to reload a steel case, as they begin to rust internally following firing, whether or not their priming is corrosive.

Any judgements I might make about Hornady Steel Match ammunition would be based solely on cost vs accuracy considerations. I would surely accept a gift of any quantity, for use as Zombie Fodder at very least, where brass recovery is the last of my priorities. Based on my more recent experience with Hornady Superformance hunting ammunition, I should expect good performance from the Steel Match.

Greg

If the price is right and you are not going to reload the cases I say go for it.

I've run a couple thousand of rounds of WW2 German heavy ball thru belt fed guns in 8x57mm and bolt guns and also a few hundred rounds of 7.92x33mm(8kurz) thru my MP43 when I had it.

Never had a problem with function etc.....the only thing was the old German rounds the mild steel cases had a coat of lacqure on them. So when you cleaned the barrel you had to clean the chamber good as well.

Hornadys don't seem to have this coating but someting different. I'm going to give them a try.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I've shot close to a thousand rounds of .223 TAP Training 75 gr. through my 16" LaRue Stealth upper. Shooting 10-round strings, it prints 1.25"–1.5" groups at 100 yards. Clays at 300 yards are no problem, 350 is doable with a good wind call, but 400 yards is right out.

The 55 gr. version doesn't work well in my rifle. It's 2" at best with 10-round strings.

I haven't had a single failure to feed or extract, even during my last range trip where I ran 300 rounds with an AAC SPR/M4 mounted.

—Andreas

I have shot the 75grn .223 in my POF and it's very accurate. 5/8 MOA using a 4x optic at 100 yards. I use it for shooting 3 gun and it works great.

The 155 .308 is about the same accuracy out of my bolt gun.

That is pretty impressive. Looks like I will have to try some when I don't have a good opportunity to police brass.