• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornady: Why no .338 A-Max 250's and 300's

rman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2010
Calgary
Does anyone know if and or when Hornady plans to come out with a .338 250 and or 300 grain A-max?

Thanks.

R.

Re: Hornady: Why no .338 A-Max 250's and 300's

6.5mm 130Amax with the same profile as the 140s too please!

Would love to see some .338s and some heavy .375s as well!

I emailed them that question last spring and they said they have no immediate plans to do so.

I read on here recently (I think it was the 1000yd+ sub forum) that Hornady is rolling out a 285gr solution for 338's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5mm 130Amax with the same profile as the 140s too please! </div></div>

The 123 Amax has the same form with a shortened OAL (material is pulled form the bearing surface) as the 140gr Amax. I've shot about 400 of the 123's now from my 260 gas gun. They work very well.

Based on what I have read, the 285 shoots VERY well but doesn't have a great BC. But what good is a great BC if you can't hit what you're shooting at. It's kinda like guys talking about how they are shooting the 300's 3050+FPS but their accuracy loads are 2900. Uh, ok, but what good is that 3050 number. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on what I have read, the 285 shoots VERY well but doesn't have a great BC. But what good is a great BC if you can't hit what you're shooting at. It's kinda like guys talking about how they are shooting the 300's 3050+FPS but their accuracy loads are 2900. Uh, ok, but what good is that 3050 number. lol </div></div>

That's a problem I've noticed here in this forum, over the past 3+ years.

I call it 'praying to the B.C. Gods'.

A bullet can be as slick as snot, but if your weapon doesn't shoot it well, who cares?

That's why God invented adjustable scopes, anyway.

Chris

That is why I like the A-Max so much. It has a high enough BC, but not the highest you can get, shoots very well out of most rifles, is easy to get to shoot well, and, best of all, they don't break the bank.

R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is why I like the A-Max so much. It has a high enough BC, but not the highest you can get, shoots very well out of most rifles, is easy to get to shoot well, and, best of all, they don't break the bank.

R. </div></div>

Hornady was late to the '338LM game' and is playing catch up, I'd imagine. They've had their 250 HPBT out for a while, but it's kind of like vaporware for some of us. They now make brass for sale and loaded ammo. I'd expect more things from them in the future.

Honestly, you're shooting a 338LM and if a few extra dollars per box of 250/300gr Scenars/SMKs is going to break the bank, well then...

It's now a popular caliber and we'll see more and more companies coming out with target grade components in the near future.

You should have been here when we had only 2 brands of brass (Norma & Lapua) and only three bullets...250 Scenars and SMKs and 300gr SMKs!

Chris

As of right now the 300SMK is pretty hard to beat for all around performance and a tolerable price. They just seem to flat out work. Even at velocities of the 408 based stuff.

Berger's 300's shoots extremely well from what I've been reading but they don't like to be launched much over about 2800fps. Until Berger makes their 300's tougher the SMK is the go to bullet in the 300gr. class.

I too, look forward to the day we have a 300ish grain A-Max from Hornady. The 208 Amax looks so loanly, come on Hornady, make him a .338 big brother.
smile.gif

They've made a bunch of the 285's already but aren't going to release them til the new year.

Bring in 2011 with a bang, so to speak.....

From what I understand, the new 285's are not an A-max, which I just don't get.

R.

I'd like to see aluminum tips like on the 750gr Amax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's hard to make a plastic tip bullet that doesn't come apart. Ask David Tubb. Oh, yea the original A-Max vaporized for a while. Not to say the plastic tip is bad, just hard to make right. </div></div>

I don't disagree, but they seem to have those problems solved (Hornady). Some guys are pushing those 208's pretty hard, well above 3000fps in some cases, and they are holding up fine. So I think they have the bugs out. Just wish they would give us another option for the .338!

R.

One of the big bonuses you get with a molded plastic tip is meplat control and meplat size improvement. Both of these have huge effects in the consistency and the overall BC of the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is why I like the A-Max so much. It has a high enough BC, but not the highest you can get, shoots very well out of most rifles, is easy to get to shoot well, and, best of all, they don't break the bank.

R. </div></div>

Hornady was late to the '338LM game' and is playing catch up, I'd imagine. They've had their 250 HPBT out for a while, but it's kind of like vaporware for some of us. They now make brass for sale and loaded ammo. I'd expect more things from them in the future.

Honestly, you're shooting a 338LM and if a few extra dollars per box of 250/300gr Scenars/SMKs is going to break the bank, well then...

It's now a popular caliber and we'll see more and more companies coming out with target grade components in the near future.

You should have been here when we had only 2 brands of brass (Norma & Lapua) and only three bullets...250 Scenars and SMKs and 300gr SMKs!

Chris </div></div>

Hornady was the first with the .338 250c HPBT that was the test bullet that started all of this. not Sierra or Lapua as some would think.
Granted they didn't go with it after the start but I have to give it to them for the start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: esromvre</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is why I like the A-Max so much. It has a high enough BC, but not the highest you can get, shoots very well out of most rifles, is easy to get to shoot well, and, best of all, they don't break the bank.

R. </div></div>

Chris </div></div>

Hornady was the first with the .338 250c HPBT that was the test bullet that started all of this. not Sierra or Lapua as some would think.
Granted they didn't go with it after the start but I have to give it to them for the start. </div></div>

Can't say if this is correct, or not, Lapua and AI took up the ball early when the US/Navy/CIA dropped the ball early in the 80s. I know Lapua used a variation of their LockBase, FMJ/BT early on, but I don't know my dates, to be honest.

Chris

that is correct after Research Armorment dropped than the others did step up to the plate.. and I am glad that they did...