• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Horndady SST for long range apps?

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
1st of all what is considered a significant difference b/t BC's?

How's the SST for accuracy for long range shooting? Will it keep up with match grade bullets?

I'm loading for a 260 Rem and am debating using a bullet that is good for hunting as well as F class competition.
The 140gr SST BC is .520. The AMAX is .550. The Sierra Matchking 142gr has a BC in the .580 for the velocity I'll be shooting.

I know snipers use match grade bullets for their targets but I wont be shooting those. I'll be hunting deer and those sorts of critters along with shooting F class matches. I just don't want to have to dope 2 rounds.

thanks.

Re: Horndady SST for long range apps?

One more thing. I have 2 kinds of brass. BR brass and regular remington brass. The BR brass is very thin and I'm guessing has a lot more volume inside. Will this make a significant difference in my loads going from one to the other?

Have loaded the SST 140 and 129 in .260, and attempted load development for match loadings. Not bad, but not great, and I consider it a a great choice for a hunting round. Too many flyers for my liking as a match projectile. Maybe it was me. All my .260 hunting loads are made with either 129 or 140 SST's or 95gr V-Max.

Different case volumes, if it's got that much difference, should be considered as different as two completely different chamberings. Rem brass is great for both apps, the BR brass should probably be reserved for match loadings.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will this make a significant difference in my loads going from one to the other? </div></div>
Yes. Pick one brass, and load your long range ammo with it. Or, just start over with somethng new to keep it consistant.

The Hor SST is my favorite hunting bullet to work up a load for. It has a great BC for a hunting bullet, and the accuracy is always very good. I use the SST bullets in my hunting rifles for deer/pig size game. Like you said, there are higher BC match bullets. The A-max is a very good hunting bullet. I haver taken several deer with them, and they shoot well. I would look at the A-max, and highly consider it as an option.

With the 260, use 130gr Bergers for hunting, target shooting or anything else and never look back. They give you a little extra velocity over the 140s and B/C is totally adequate.

A-MAX for hunting? Really? I had the tech from Hornady tell me that is not a hunting bullet nor should be considered one. Does it work like a ballistic tip?

I've heard of a few guys hunting with the SMK, is hunting with the A-Max pretty much the same concept?

Also, what is considered a significant difference is BC? throwing out numbers: .05, .03,, .08. At which point would you say this bullet is better than that bullet based on BC alone?

thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A-MAX for hunting? Really? I had the tech from Hornady tell me that is not a hunting bullet nor should be considered one. </div></div>

That's either cuz they've never hunted with them, or they want to sell hunting bullets. AMAX's are deer killers, and much preferred over SMKs by me. Bergers poke nice holes too. I have no use for "hunting bullets" and I kill alot of shit.

I shoot factory .308 150gr sst ammo and also handload these bullets for several calibers. The sst bullet is one of the best hunting bullets out there that I've shot. Does alot of shock and trama to the area of bullet impact. I'm not talking about blowing up all your meat now,but helps to get the critter on the ground quickly. Now back to your accuracy statement, the sst bullet is not what I'd call match. Groups around the size of a silver dollar at 100 yds,maybe a tad less. As mentioned above the Horn. 168 amax does the best of both worlds. It will bring a deer down in a heartbeat as long as you hit the target. The 168 amax has won over several close friends(die hards to other bullets)in this area. Buy some of each and test for yourself. You might be able to get alittle more accuracy out the sst bullet. Good shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R. Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A-MAX for hunting? Really? I had the tech from Hornady tell me that is not a hunting bullet nor should be considered one. </div></div>

That's either cuz they've never hunted with them, or they want to sell hunting bullets. AMAX's are deer killers, and much preferred over SMKs by me. Bergers poke nice holes too. I have no use for "hunting bullets" and I kill alot of shit. </div></div>

The 155gr .30 caliber A-Max is highly regarded for its terminal effects on humans. It is loaded in Hornady "TAP" ammo.

.308 Winchester Terminal Effects

I would like to see how some of the other A-max bullets perform

hmmm This whole AMAX thing might have me won over.

So is a .03 BC difference significant?
The AMAX BC is .550.
The Sierra Matchking 142gr BC is .580

Here's how I look at the BC's, do a % difference calculation based on the "match" bullet being your theoretical perfect BC. It gets you within an order of magnitude to consider just how much something that matters. It's really just a back of the envelope type calculation, out to 1000y it's reasonable.

Keep in mind, that when the % diff in BC says "10% diff" in drop and it really gives you 20% difference, that means if you had a known 5 MOA of drop and predicted 10% more, instead of dialing to 5.5 MOA and hitting center, you'd dial 5.5 MOA and hit 0.5 MOA low.

(match-hunting)/match * 100 = percent difference.

Example = 6.5mm 140 gr (just using numbers in the thread) at 1000y with 2900 fps MV and 10mph full value wind

Berger VLD = .640
Hrn. Amax = .550
Hrn SST = .520

<span style="text-decoration: underline">VLD vs. SST</span>
.07/.64*100 = 18.75% More Drop/drift

JBM results
VLD: 26.1/5.9 MOA
SST: 29.6/7.9 MOA

Drop % diff JBM = 13.4%
Drift % diff JBM = 25.4% diff

<span style="text-decoration: underline">VLD vs. AMAX</span>
.09/.64*100 = 14.1% More Drop/drift

VLD: 26.1/5.9 MOA
AMAX: 28.6/7.3 MOA

Drop % diff JBM = 9.5 % diff
Drift % diff JBM = 19.1% diff

<span style="text-decoration: underline">AMAX vs. SST</span>
.03/.55*100 = 5.45% More Drop/drift

AMAX: 28.6/7.3 MOA
SST: 29.1/7.9 MOA

Drop % diff JBM = 1.8%
Drift % diff JBM = 8.2% diff

Yes, their 308 Win TAP ammo is loaded with the A-max. They use either the V-max or the A-max. The A-max is a freakin' awesome hunting bullet. If you want dual duty match/hunting bullet, the A-max and Berger have that won. The SMK is good too, but too inconsistant and unpredictable for a hunting bullet. I have killed animals with both.

Nice work bohem, that's really helpful info. Nothing like quantification to give a perspective.

bohem, the BC on the 140 VLD is .595. Berger used to list it as .640, but that was a high claim. So, the difference would be a little closer.

Master, anything really over a .5 is a good BC. Any of the one's you are looking at will be close, so pick one and get it shooting good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bohem, the BC on the 140 VLD is .595. Berger used to list it as .640, but that was a high claim. So, the difference would be a little closer.

Master, anything really over a .5 is a good BC. Any of the one's you are looking at will be close, so pick one and get it shooting good. </div></div>

Good call on the Berger's BC. I was using the stock info that's in JBM's library.

I knew that Berger had changed their claim because I have a box of the 140's at home and while I couldn't remember what the BC was, I knew for sure it wasn't over .60

I used the old data because that's what was saved in the JBM calculator, it was an academic comparison so I just needed to show the trend.

Anecdotal reportage aside, I strongly believe in heeding manufacturer advice regarding which of their bullets to use, or not use, for hunting.

In fact, I have a bit of a mental block about using handloads at all for hunting when there are scads of commercial hunting loads available, they cover every niche, and have been developed with the full resources of a large corporation whose primary purpose is to produce ammunition that works and sells better than their competitors'. I can't compete with that, and I don't try.

The only handloaded hunting ammo I have is either 129/140gr SST/.260 loads that I made to use up my remaining bullets after test loading to see if they would be a good match bullet, 95gr V-Max that I was trying as a laser-load for short range and harmonic tuner testing, and some 120gr .30-'06 Cor-Lokts I modified from managed recoil ammo I cannibalized the brass from for my Garand.

I have no comment regarding the use of manufacturer contra-recommended bullets for hunting beyond saying I don't do it myself.

Greg

can you consider the Amax as expanding bullet? how is it different from the SST? in some European hunting regulations it just says expandin bullet. i had been wondering on the amax 140grain for the same reasons, target and hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flims</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can you consider the Amax as expanding bullet? </div></div>
Yes, it will expand like any other tipped or SP bullet will.

I have heard that the SST has a tendency to shed its jacket, and that the interbond had better weight retention. At any rate, they fly great and i get itty bitty groups when i shoot 180gr SST out of my .300wm.

My experiences with 140gr. SST's out of my 6.5x.284 as a hunting round convinced me to search for another bullet.I ended up settling on Barnes TSX's. When pushed over 3000fps. they will not hold up. Once I got them down to around 2800, they flew just fine. They are devastating out of my Remington 700ML w/150gr. of pyrodex though.

My experiences with 140gr. SST's out of my 6.5x.284 as a hunting round convinced me to search for another bullet.I ended up settling on Barnes TSX's. When pushed over 3000fps. they will not hold up. Once I got them down to around 2800, they flew just fine. They are devastating out of my Remington 700ML w/150gr. of pyrodex though.