• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hornday Shell holder?

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
I just rebarreled to 6.5 creedmoor and picked up a hornady shell holder #1 so I can reload it. but when i go to put brass in it, only every few pieces will one fit, most of the time they go about half way in and then get stuck.

any ideas as to what would be causing this? I've tried once fired creedmoor brass, new creedmoor brass and a few pieces of 308 win brass that I had laying around and had the same problem.

Thanks.

Re: Hornday Shell holder?

I get some that do that but wiggling normally gets them all the way in there. It seems to get better but my ratio is the exact opposite of yours I bet I had 2-3 per 50 that I loaded recently.

yeah. at least half of all my brass doesn't fit in the shell holder they go in half way and then wont go in anymore. even with wiggling and pushing.

I believe the 6.5Creedmoor has a .467" rim which will fit a standard .473 in shellholder. In other words just use a .308 or 30-06 shellholder and you will be fine. For me that's a Lee #3.
Works for me with either store bought ammo or new casings for reloading. Hope that helps. Enjoy!