• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Horse Power, Track Shit, Torque, Cubic Inches, Liters, Run What Ya Brung, Auto or Cycle

DarnYankeeUSMC

McCarthy Was Right
Minuteman
  • Mar 18, 2012
    In your head
    The green flag was....
    There's no replacement for displacement is outdated.

I have a mild cam in an Olds 474 cubic inch motor. 495 ft lbs and 425 HP.
    PXL_20220123_192654502.jpg

It sounds like a big block should. I am old school and just can't drag myself to put fuel injection on it. Would it help? Most definitely but I like carbs.
    That said. I am not going to bash the young crowd with the turbos and the 4 or 6 mills. Hell, when the Grand National came out I wanted one. I had a 400 HP 355 in a Camaro at the time. It was getting smoked by a six banger and I wanted one.

The green flag was....

View attachment 7983161
    It sounds like a big block should. I am old school and just can't drag myself to put fuel injection on it. Would it help? Most definitely but I like carbs.
    That said. I am not going to bash the young crowd with the turbos and the 4 or 6 mills. Hell, when the Grand National came out I wanted one. I had a 400 HP 355 in a Camaro at the time. It was getting smoked by a six banger and I wanted one.
    You don’t have like 4/6 to appreciate them. I’m not a big import guy, but I’d go 2JZ if I decided to be.

You tuber I watch put a 2JZ in his Camaro to troll people.

I saw that. I definitely appreciate what they are doing.
    You don’t have like 4/6 to appreciate them. I’m not a big import guy, but I’d go 2JZ if I decided to be.

A couple years ago at Beech Bend drag strip Kentucky I watched a guy with a Toyota run with the Hell Cats. I'd say some money changed hands.

The sport/ whatever it's called definitely needs more women.
    I went to a cars and coffee yesterday and out of 3 to 400 cars there were probably less than a two dozen owned by women.

The "not a poor" was not meant for anything other than that standard Bear Pit ribbing .
    Just one of the classics she's owned since a teenager is worth more today than that "hypercar"..

She paid for it. She has 5 others. Her 442 was featured at the main entrance to the 2017 IMS Auto Show, and has been used in music videos, photo shoots, parades, and weddings.

Cutting-edge F1 engines are designed to last just a few hundred miles, a few races. They are effectively seized at normal atmospheric temperatures, and have to be pumped with operating-temp coolant and oil to even start up.

The neighbor has a V8 BMW and it's pretty impressive. I always give him a hard time by saying that it's a good thing he's a BMW mechanic.

• Haha
    Reactions: 338dude
    The green flag was....

View attachment 7983161

Dr. Olds made what you seek
    1969-Dr-Olds-Ad-6.jpg

dbafc7fe02114585b4ccfed85ff0717a.jpg

1969-Dr-Olds-Ad-3.jpg

Alas, the W43 never reached production

6f258a6ceab9b5ee309a12e2e4d73944.jpg

Ok, I’ll play…. Used to race V8 American muscle cars, then moved to a Nissan 300ZX, and then saw the light. Started racing Miatas and occasionally Mini Coopers, and finally learned how to actually drive a car instead of an apex-to-apex, point and shoot style of driving.

Getting “slideways” around a track can be fun, but it ain’t all that fast.

Slowly making my way back up the horsepower food chain, but surprisingly sanguine with my current track toy of 10 years:

D2AED3D2-A429-46EB-B320-4AF30CD2AD87.jpeg

Anything that's fast is cool.

I never understood the import tuner crowd though. I just don't get the fixation on displacement. The 3L 2jz weighs the same, if not more than the 7.4L ls7. I could see the appeal the 3L engine produced the same power at 40% of the weight but that's not the case. I don't see a logical argument against the old adage that there's no replacement for displacement. It's undeniably true unless you're comparing apples to hand grenades (ie, forced induction to NA.)

The front wheel drive, 500+ hp four banger crowd is a weird bunch. I look at them the same way I look at people that put ketchup on steak.

The flat crank LT6 in the new Z06 looks like it's gonna be the bees knees. One of those in a 2200lb kit like the Ultima RS would make for an absolute track monster.

Look up the BMW M12/13. 1.5l 4 cylinder that made somewhere around 1400hp in qualifying trim. In the 80's no less.

I got to see one of those in a museum (pretty sure it was what's now Ring Werk) about 20 years ago. It looked normal, other than the absolutely gigantic turbo hanging from its side.

This sort of thing might not seen remarkable to the kids nowadays, but beck in the 1980s it was pretty groundbreaking.

Floating around somewhere in an archived folder is a copy of Honda's SAE paper on the RA168 engine. It's pretty cool to read about how the engineers maximized BSFC while making nearly 500 HP/L in race configuration.

In my past, I’ve had a built 289 in a 1967 Sunbeam Tiger II, a 428 CJ in a 1969 Shelby GT 500, more recently a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, and now, a 2022 Volvo XC60 T8 - 425 hp / 452 ft lb torque from a 2 l turbo supercharged driving the fronts and a 115 hp electric driving the backs.

not exactly balanced, but ridiculous fast compared to the 60’s muscle cars….

I had not seen that double overhead cam before. Thanks.
    This is where the motor now lives. It was a luxury ride car for Oldsmobile. The Jetstar was only produced for a couple years. They redesigned it for 66 and it brought the cost too close to the next higher model so it was discontinued. There's little to no support for the Jetstar 88 so when you think you finally found the part you find that it's for everything but the Jetstar.
    Front brakes are converted to disc and double adjustable coil overs from Viking. Rear shocks are double adjustable Vikings also. That has gotten rid of the luxury ride. This winter it's going to get a new rearend. Probably a 12 bolt or forbidden Ford 9 inch.
    PXL_20220622_194111933.MP.jpg

Dr. Olds made what you seek
    1969-Dr-Olds-Ad-6.jpg

dbafc7fe02114585b4ccfed85ff0717a.jpg

1969-Dr-Olds-Ad-3.jpg

Alas, the W43 never reached production

6f258a6ceab9b5ee309a12e2e4d73944.jpg

AF3BD714-0877-47F1-9913-3F3AE6C8E9B1.jpeg

This isn’t very fast compared to purpose-built race cars.
    And it might go quicker if I got rid of the AC system, power steering and stereo.... but I like that stuff.

4200# worth of street truck.
    Single turbo on 360ci small block.
    It goes down the freeway pretty good.
    Not a road racer. Hahaha

It stands on two wheels! That's nice.
    View attachment 7983287
    This isn’t very fast compared to purpose-built race cars.
    And it might go quicker if I got rid of the AC system, power steering and stereo.... but I like that stuff.

4200# worth of street truck.
    Single turbo on 360ci small block.
    It goes down the freeway pretty good.
    Not a road racer. Hahaha
    Mine is still one wheel peel. For now

A3891E28-F456-46CB-9D2A-6EC2B1E0B10B.jpeg

You want a car that gets the job done? You want a car that's hassle free? You want a car that literally no one will ever compliment you on? Well look no further.

The 1999 Toyota Corolla.

Let's talk about features.
    Bluetooth: nope
    Sunroof: nope
    Fancy wheels: nope
    Rear view camera: nope...but it's got a transparent rear window and you have a fucking neck that can turn.

Let me tell you a story. One day my Corolla started making a strange sound. I didn't give a shit and ignored it. It went away. The End.

You could take the engine out of this car, drop it off the Golden Gate Bridge, fish it out of the water a thousand years later, put it in the trunk of the car, fill the gas tank up with Nutella, turn the key, and this puppy would fucking start right up.

This car will outlive you, it will outlive your children.

Things this car is old enough to do:
    Vote: yes
    Consent to sex: yes
    Rent a car: it IS a car

This car's got history. It's seen some shit. People have done straight things in this car. People have done gay things in this car. It's not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would.

Interesting facts:
    This car's exterior color is gray, but it's interior color is grey.
    In the owner's manual, oil is listed as "optional."
    When this car was unveiled at the 1998 Detroit Auto Show, it caused all 2,000 attendees to spontaneously yawn. The resulting abrupt change in air pressure inside the building caused a partial collapse of the roof. Four people died. The event is chronicled in the documentary "Bored to Death: The Story of the 1999 Toyota Corolla"

You wanna know more? Great, I had my car fill out a Facebook survey.
    Favorite food: spaghetti
    Favorite tv show: Alf
    Favorite band: tie between Bush and the Gin Blossoms

This car is as practical as a Roth IRA. It's as middle-of-the-road as your grandpa during his last Silver Alert. It's as utilitarian as a member of a church whose scripture is based entirely on water bills.

When I ran the CarFax for this car, I got back a single piece of paper that said, "It's a Corolla. It's fine."

Let's face the facts, this car isn't going to win any beauty contests, but neither are you. Stop lying to yourself and stop lying to your wife. This isn't the car you want, it's the car you deserve: The fucking 1999 Toyota Corolla.

So I take it that street outlaws is not in your future.
    View attachment 7983326

You want a car that gets the job done? You want a car that's hassle free? You want a car that literally no one will ever compliment you on? Well look no further.

The 1999 Toyota Corolla.

Let's talk about features.
    Bluetooth: nope
    Sunroof: nope
    Fancy wheels: nope
    Rear view camera: nope...but it's got a transparent rear window and you have a fucking neck that can turn.

Let me tell you a story. One day my Corolla started making a strange sound. I didn't give a shit and ignored it. It went away. The End.

You could take the engine out of this car, drop it off the Golden Gate Bridge, fish it out of the water a thousand years later, put it in the trunk of the car, fill the gas tank up with Nutella, turn the key, and this puppy would fucking start right up.

This car will outlive you, it will outlive your children.

Things this car is old enough to do:
    Vote: yes
    Consent to sex: yes
    Rent a car: it IS a car

This car's got history. It's seen some shit. People have done straight things in this car. People have done gay things in this car. It's not going to judge you like a fucking Volkswagen would.

Interesting facts:
    This car's exterior color is gray, but it's interior color is grey.
    In the owner's manual, oil is listed as "optional."
    When this car was unveiled at the 1998 Detroit Auto Show, it caused all 2,000 attendees to spontaneously yawn. The resulting abrupt change in air pressure inside the building caused a partial collapse of the roof. Four people died. The event is chronicled in the documentary "Bored to Death: The Story of the 1999 Toyota Corolla"

You wanna know more? Great, I had my car fill out a Facebook survey.
    Favorite food: spaghetti
    Favorite tv show: Alf
    Favorite band: tie between Bush and the Gin Blossoms

This car is as practical as a Roth IRA. It's as middle-of-the-road as your grandpa during his last Silver Alert. It's as utilitarian as a member of a church whose scripture is based entirely on water bills.

When I ran the CarFax for this car, I got back a single piece of paper that said, "It's a Corolla. It's fine."

Let's face the facts, this car isn't going to win any beauty contests, but neither are you. Stop lying to yourself and stop lying to your wife. This isn't the car you want, it's the car you deserve: The fucking 1999 Toyota Corolla.

Cooper?

I'm a fan of displacement. Check out some of Steve Morris engines though. He won't build any bigger than a 540ci for boost, but will put twin 110s on his billet 540 and run 4000+ hp on methanol. His Buick station wagon is what I always wanted to build, 3500 lbs, can drive on the street on 91 octane, and runs 6 second quarter miles.

He does some bigger 632ci NA stuff that churns out stupid power also.

I borrowed my Denali out and it came back with a ghost gear in the 4l65e. I've been chasing electrical gremlins in it forever and the A/C compressor died shortly before it was loaned out.
    I'm trying to talk myself out of a built th400, and a set of heads, cam, and twin 66mm turbos on the lq4. Then when I nuke it, some 76mm turbos and a nice Callie's crank, rods, and pistons.
    This way I can gut and toss the harness. Build my own simple switchboard for lights, locks, and windows.

Then I remember that I live in Montana, my local dragstrip only holds 2-3 races all summer, and horsepower is expensive. Then the fact that I would have to order drums of e85, or stupid expensive race gas.

Cooper?

I'm a fan of displacement. Check out some of Steve Morris engines though. He won't build any bigger than a 540ci for boost, but will put twin 110s on his billet 540 and run 4000+ hp on methanol. His Buick station wagon is what I always wanted to build, 3500 lbs, can drive on the street on 91 octane, and runs 6 second quarter miles.

I borrowed my Denali out and it came back with a ghost gear in the 4l65e. I've been chasing electrical gremlins in it forever and the A/C compressor died shortly before it was loaned out.
    I'm trying to talk myself out of a built th400, and a set of heads, cam, and twin 66mm turbos on the lq4. Then when I nuke it, some 76mm turbos and a nice Callie's crank, rods, and pistons.
    Yup, I like him he’s laid back none of that over the top fake bullshit. Steve’s wagon is retarded fast.

I had a TH350 in a 400 HP car. That thing ate them like Cheerios. Best thing I did was go to the TH400.
    Cooper?

This way I can gut and toss the harness. Build my own simple switchboard for lights, locks, and windows.

Then I remember that I live in Montana, my local dragstrip only holds 2-3 races all summer, and horsepower is expensive. Then the fact that I would have to order drums of e85, or stupid expensive race gas.

In fact it does...

Not like those silly Italian things... or those rear-engined Nazi Slot Cars. Where your luggage is limited to your girlfriend's leather teddy and a box of TicTac's.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Splendid my good man, I’ll tell Tilly we need one for the summer cottage in Spain 🎩

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    The new go fast toy popping up is Ford F-150 SWB 4x4 with coyotes beating up on some fast street cars.

Reactions: BurtG and jrassy
    I'm just waiting to see what these guys end up with.
    Crown Victoria chassis....and then it gets weird.
    Rolls Royce V12 tank engine, like 27 liter or so, converted to modern fuel/spark management.
    2 huge ass Borg Warner turbos.
    Stock it was about 700 horse and 1600 lb. ft. torque when it was in the tank.
    They are looking to make 2500 horse so the torque will be astronomical....maybe 5000-6000 lb ft ???

BTW, I used to have a 1994/5 Maserati Ghibli Cup.
    It had a 2.0L V6 twin turbo I had massaged to ~500~ horse give or take a bit, stock was 350'ish.
    Not too bad for a little 2 liter 3000lb car.

I'm just waiting to see what these guys end up with.
    Crown Victoria chassis....and then it gets weird.
    Rolls Royce V12 tank engine, like 27 liter or so, converted to modern fuel/spark management.
    2 huge ass Borg Warner turbos.
    Stock it was about 700 horse and 1600 lb. ft. torque when it was in the tank.
    They are looking to make 2500 horse so the torque will be astronomical....maybe 5000-6000 lb ft ???

BTW, I used to have a 1994/5 Maserati Ghibli Cup.
    It had a 2.0L V6 twin turbo I had massaged to ~500~ horse give or take a bit, stock was 350'ish.
    Not too bad for a little 2 liter 3000lb car.

Engine is a Meteor, which is the cast-iron-crankcase version of the Merlin aircraft engine. Other than the cast iron crankcase, It’s a a Merlin.

They were re-cammed and profiled for tank engines that lowered HP but dramatically raised torque. So the hp number “looks” low. But you can use aircraft HP goodies in a Meteor engine and get aircraft output very easily. Plus the tank engines are cheap as they aren’t sought after for air racing and spitfire restoration.

Lots of cool cars built around RR tank engines.

Look up “The RR Beast” to see the mother of all specials!

Sirhr

93F9D24B-69E6-4E72-BD7A-A6561C5FAD99.jpeg

Someone mention Grand National? This is one of my customers GN that I built a stout 4L80E transmission for. 6.2 liter LS single turbo on E85 fuel. Holley EFI engine management. It totes the front wheels off of footbrake launch. Runs low to mid 9s in the 1/4 with full interior, A/C, and power steering.

Last edited: