• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing horse scabbard for tactical type rifle

cinosbus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
St. Charles, MO
Has anybody seen a rifle scabbard designed for horseback that will accomodate a heavy (12lb) rifle with a large optic, big turrets, and maybe a bipod? I'm looking for something with more protection rather than quick access.

Re: horse scabbard for tactical type rifle

I'm not patient enough to fish - unless we're doing it like the guys in 2nd hand lions...
laugh.gif

There is nothing that will accommodate a Bi-pod.
I haven't found many that will accommodate the A5

HTG's, A3's seem to work.

Leather has always been the best option for protection but I had to get them made from saddle makers or someone who works with leather.

There are some cordura ones out there I believe Cabela's has them.

The issues with the A4, A5's are the width of the forend and this also makes riding/comfort a bit difficult on the scabbard side. I would also opt out of having one made to accommodate the bi-pod for this reason as well.

After having a few made and what not. The HTG was my choice for the hunting/tac rigs while sitting a pony.

I can't wrap my head around the fishing poles in the scabbard. Seeing as the scabbard is flexable. (enough to snap a rod)Splintering one of them next to horse flesh is a recipie for disaster. Albeit, I hear ALPO is looking to fill a few cans. As sticking a horse with carbon fibers, fiberglass or graphite in the back country would tend to lead to this.

Especially as they now make rods that break down into 4 pieces with out loosing function or sensitivity. Whoda thunk it. You know modern technolody and all.

A fishing rod in a tube of some kind would be just fine in a scabbard.

Here is a scabbard I built myself. Pretty straightforward, but then again I use rifles that are built to hunt with.
shocked.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif

P1000219.jpg

Chuck, sure... a tube would work. If the person in question woulda actually done that.

Nice rig too. McCall? or Custom?

tigersandscabbard024.jpg

Here's one I made....next project will be one for an A5 Mac.

PGS,

That's pretty freakin cool man, nice work! Looks like it would work on a 4 wheeler as well.

-Pat

scabbards001.jpg

HSM, Thanks! Think it would work well on an ATV.......here's another one a little bit different.

scabbards002.jpg

Built this one for my old saddle ring .25/35 Winchester.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scabbards001.jpg

HSM, Thanks! Think it would work well on an ATV.......here's another one a little bit different. </div></div>

Did you make that or buy it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scabbards001.jpg

HSM, Thanks! Think it would work well on an ATV.......here's another one a little bit different. </div></div>

Did you make that or buy it? </div></div>
I think that he built it along with all the others that he has posted. That is some seriously good looking leather work

Yeah he made em....

He does excellent leather work.

I bet he'd build ya one if ya asked nice and threw out a CC# ;-)

Thanks for the nice comments guys!! Leather is pretty forgiving and not hard to work with...If I can do it anyone can!!

PGS,, outstanding work! What about carrying the rifle slung on your back while riding?

Pat,
I like that "2 snap" case... wonder where you got that idea.. grin
No, that is some serious good leather work!

Just remember Ack.....who's running the Vector!!!!