• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Horus Scopes

priler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2012
i'm looking for input on horus scopes,not the reticles but the scopes themselves,..durability,quality in construction,quality of glass ect.,etc..

i am aware of the warnings of never buying a scope with the name of a bird,lol. i'm also aware of the bad reports by some but most of those seem to be much older reports from about 2006 to maybe 2008/09/10. i'm also aware of human nature and the desire to "follow-the-leader" and just repeat what everone says without actually having any first hand experience or sometimes even the slightest clue of the reality.

what i'm asking for is reports and opinions from people who either actually own them or somehow have first hand experience with them(perhaps you have a buddy who has one and you can give his/her experiences so far). i'd like to hear from those who've had one for years too and anyone who may have just bought one. anyone in the military(or ex) that's used one would be great to hear from. i'd also like to know about their CS,if anything has changed lately. i'm assuming they don't actually work on or fix their own scopes,is this true?(i know who actually makes them in japan) if there's a problem after 1 year do they send you to a third party or tell you to pound sand? do they give you a hard time even before the 1 year?

i know that their ele/win click adjustments can be a bit mushy but i also know their using those turrets on purpose(it's obvious) to save money(and keep the turrets low and light weight) and have a better price because it's all about the reticle with them. they also have only a 1 year warranty and yes that bothers me but again,they're "supposed" to be doing that on purpose to offer a lower price. in theory(which generally i agree with but still prefer to have),adding a lifetime warranty adds about 20% to the cost of any scope(which makes you think what a scope is really worth,quality and/or where they had to skimp on to compete,doesn't it!?.....or,are they actually pocketing the difference and giving you nothing in return?,it's at least possible too).

are these things worth it? can they take recoil?(what rifle/caliber do you have it on?) do they hold zero? how's the quality of the glass compared to others? are the reticles really extremely well calibrated? does the POI change when zooming down or up like it does on so many others?,etc.,etc.,etc.. i want to hear it all,the good,the bad and the ugly. where exactly do they spend the money on these scopes?

again,these have been covered before but most of those reports are old(including good reports that are old too) and some just repeat what others say and have probably never even seen a horus scope in person. i used the search function but i want more,there's not enough(maybe for a reason?).

Re: Horus Scopes

wow,you sent it in for repair and you never saw it again?

where did you return it to,a black hole?,BWAHAHAHA!

major suckage!

what specifically broke on it? thanks.

shitty scopes.....if the reticle is what you are after look at Bushnell or some of the other manfs. that use Horus reticles, get ready to pay a hefty upcharge though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shitty scopes.....if the reticle is what you are after look at Bushnell or some of the other manfs. that use Horus reticles, get ready to pay a hefty upcharge though </div></div>

which horus scope did you have? what year was it? why was it shitty for you?

I have owned over 10 Horus scopes, Hawk, Predator, Raptor, and the Falcon and have probably sold over 30 and never had an issue. The glass isn`t like a Nightforce but never had trouble. I also just purchased a Premier with H-37 reticle and wow, exactly everything I wanted, of course 3 times as much ut quality isn`t cheap.

I got a couple Horus 8-26 Predators I'll sell yuh.
wink.gif
Had them for about 5 years now.

I despise the day that either one should break because I'm SOL and $1400 will go down the drain. They reside on a couple 22lr's now. I only use holdovers/holdoffs other than sighting the rifles in.

Neither one tracks correctly. The glass is OK at best as well as everything else on the scope. Compare them to a $300-$400 scope.

All that being said I've won rimfire and centerfire matches with them, hit steel at 2000Y using 8x, shot a Prairie Dog at 330Y with the rimfire, the list goes on, so I have some fond memories with them.

If they had a good warranty I'd buy more. I say this because I hardly dial.

Too satisfy my desire for using Horus reticles without spending North of $3000 dollars on a scope I bought some HDMR's.

I would say they have a great concept with their reticles but for the money you can find way better scopes out there. They are way to cocky with their pricing for the level of quality you get in their scopes compared to others out there. For the price point your at looking at most of their scopes i would grab a nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrgfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say they have a great concept with their reticles but for the money you can find way better scopes out there. They are way to cocky with their pricing for the level of quality you get in their scopes compared to others out there. For the price point your at looking at most of their scopes i would grab a nightforce. </div></div>

thanks jrgfox. which model horus scope/s did you own? what didn't you like about it or what problems did it have?

thanks,appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned over 10 Horus scopes, Hawk, Predator, Raptor, and the Falcon and have probably sold over 30 and never had an issue. The glass isn`t like a Nightforce but never had trouble. I also just purchased a Premier with H-37 reticle and wow, exactly everything I wanted, of course 3 times as much ut quality isn`t cheap. </div></div>

Have you spent enough time behind the H37 reticle to know if you are happy with it? Compared to an H59 reticle, is the H37 too busy? Is a Gen II XR reticle suitable for ELR or too bare bones?

I will need new dedicated glass for a new rifle on the way. Premiere, USO, S&B... such a bewildering and expensive array. I would probably get another H59 reticle, but, excepting Leupold with their offbeat 35mm tube (and H58), the higher magnification models are offered in H37, not H59.

An aside to Priler, before I bought my Bushnell HDMR I emailed Horus customer service a few questions about their scopes. Their flip and incomplete response underscored the consensus opinion that they have rotten customer service. For that reason alone there is no way would I buy one of their scopes.