• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Horus scopes ?

SuddenDeath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Hartford, Ky.
What are your thoughts on Horus scopes for a entry level in precision shooting ? I am going to be able to shoot out to 500 yards easy but I can go somewhere else to shoot further. I like the Raptor for it's 4-16x50 but dont really like the retical, and I like the Hawk retical but I don't think the 3-12x50 is enough.

Re: Horus scopes ?

Plenty.

The scopes aren't worth the money. I had an older Falcon that was pretty good, but the new ones are cheese ball, the one I had, the reticle shifted in it when I put the mag on max power. The company is notorious for leaving people high and dry.

I like the reticles, and have 3 scopes with them, but I won't own a Horus scope, maybe the Raptor b/c you can get it under $850, but it wouldn't go on a rifle I rely on.

My Hawk is ok... better than some stuff out there... but the lack of a parallax adjust on mine - it's only good out to 500 yds i think for me. I noticed I get the "fish eye" effect too.

yeah (the hawk) - i'm not saying they're bad, for the money... they're pretty clear to a point. I'm saying, after about 500-600 yds it gets a bit fuzzy and there's nothing i can do about it. Also the parallax is off since it's set at 100 yds.
I'm thinking there might be something else as far as quality goes in the same price range, with the "down-side" not having the horus reticle. I like my reticle, although i haven't used it to it's potential. I can see it for target shooting mostly. I hunted with it and decided, for myself, that i could just as easily used mil-dot or cross hairs maybe with a BDC.

I also think for quick distance situations where you don't have a spotter, there needs to be a quicker range finding reticle... i kinda like the GRSC m62 reticle or nightforce np-rr2 or even an updated "dragunov" reticle??? Sorry for the tangent...

Anyways... horus isn't completely bad. I got mine cause i needed something kinda quick and didn't have $1000. I'm going to get the viper 4-16 PST FFP when it comes out. I'd like the nightforce 3-15 f1 but the price difference is there too.

I was wondering the same thing about Horus Scopes, thanks for the info.

I bought one of the original falcons (2003), the first ones they put the H25 reticle and mill adjustments. The glass, power ring, and adjustment mechanism function perfectly. The illumination function is good as well. The parallax is a little stiff. I hardly ever touch the elevation and windage knobs except to re-zero after dis-assembly, but I have checked its tracking function and its perfect.

I wouldn't buy one now (a new model), but if I were to sell mine I would allow the new user a few days inspection to ease their minds, I'm that confident.

yeah - i mean maybe i was seeing a little aberration and a little fish-eye (like looking through a glass bowl)... but i didn't notice it as much - only when i was scanning and moving to find the target. I think i'm going to post something to see if anyone has any suggestions about a quick ranging reticle scope they like.

good luck with the horus if you get one... get it with the parallax adjustment if you want accuracy at longer dists

I went out shooting with a couple military officers, they had Hawk's on there rifles (personal rifles).

It shot well out to 500yrds, when you know the distances it was easy to transition from the 100yrd to 250yrd, 350yrd, 450yrd then the 500yrd berms. It convinced me so I am going to put one of my new build.

I will probably pick up there Raptor,

does it make a diference all there scopes are FFP?

isn't someone else making them now?, so they are better then the original?

I got mine last june... not sure about the version or build. Mine does hold zero well and I haven't needed to shoot past the limit of the reticle - meaning, i have no idea how much room i have to dial "click" values - haven't needed to. Maybe someone else can comment on the illumination since mine doesn't have it.

edit: here is a review of the horus talon... the reviewer compares the glass quality to leupold. I thought the leupold vxIII was clearer but then again, the talon was almost $300 more than my hawk, now they reduced it to 650 on their website.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=421244&page=5

here is a scope pic on 8x H25, the deer is about 130yrds out on a foggy morning.
deerinscope2.jpg

I have an H25 (older model) I just added to my AR style .308. The parallax adjustment is very stiff. anyone know how to adjust it? Extended ranges at 10X the view is crisp however at 16X it is a bit fuzzy, any ideas?
Thanks,

Jerry

I've only heard good thing about the Talon. Is it certain models to avoid, or Horus in general?

Spoke to Maria at Horusvision. She says the Horus scopes are Japan Optic's Majesty line with Horus's reticles installed. Horus is a fabless shop.

Anyone know which other brands are Japan Optics scopes sold under? I believe Falcons are made by Japan Optics. Any others?

I've used a Hawk out to 514 yards and it works great. Glass is pretty decent; not high end of course, but nice for $500. I wanted the reticle and at the time couldn't swing the $1500 or more to get it in a NF or Leupold. You are definitely gambling though as the warranty is only for a year, and Horus can't fix it if there's a problem.

I'm happy as can be with mine so far, but I won't buy another one because of the warranty, and I wouldn't risk $850+ on one either.

I found the Horus reticles to be too busy. Went with a Zeiss 4-14 scope with the Rapid Z-1000 on my .308 - turned out to be a fantastic selection. You set the power to somewhere between 13-14 power for the reticle tree to be correct for average 308 trajectory. Just have to get to the range to fine tune the power setting for shots beyond 500 yds.

save your money and buy a USO or PR with a Horus reticle. Or just get a good mil/mil scope and learn how to use it. I have a Horus Falcon 5-20x50(?) with the illuminated H-25 reticle and the new Bushnell 4-12x? illuminated FFP scope.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The glass, knobs and overall construction of the Bushnell are significantly better than the Horus.</span></span>

BTW, I used a 20MOA rail and the 4-12 Bushy to shoot 1000 yards using a .308 Win with a 17" barrel, 175 grain SMK's with 43.5 grains of Varget. If I can do that with a 17" barrel, imagine what you could do with a longer barrel or even a better long range cartridge?

buy a Bushy or a Super Sniper or whatever and save your money for a USO w/ the horus.

Or, sent me $1250 and I'll send you my HV Falcon already coated with mud, dust, plenty of wear and tear but still just as accurate and functional as the day I got it!
wink.gif

I have the following comments.

In the specification page on the scope, adjustment was listed as "1 mil (1 cm at 100 meters) click adjustments". 1 cm at 100 meters is 0.1 mil, not 1 mil.

PBZ was established at 300 yards. The entire point of the Horus reticle is to establish a short-range zero, usually at 100 yards or meters, and then shoot everything using holdovers referenced to the grid below the horizontal arm of the reticle. If, for example, I know that my dope for 600 yards from a 100 yard zero is 4.4 mils, all I have to do is hold down from the main crosshairs 4.4 mils, using the numbers on the reticle. I don't have to figure out the offset for that from the PBZ range, which may be confusing.

On that reticle there are limited if any grid references above the horizontal crosshair, and precision shots inside the PBZ would have to be made holding under that crosshair, without reference to the grid.

If the zero were established at 100 yards or meters, shots at <span style="font-weight: bold">every</span> distance, including inside the zero range, would all be made using holdovers referenced to the grid.

I like the Horus reticle, and used one exclusively for three years and many thousands of rounds. However, I stopped using it when it occurred to me that I could use a standard mildot reticle with 5 mils of marks below the main crosshairs to shoot out to 600 yards, using only holdovers from a 100 yard zero. And it is within that range that most fast shooting is required. Beyond 600 yards, one usually has time to dial elevation.

And if you really need holdoffs for extended distances, a 600 yard zero with a .308 will enable you to use both holdunders and holdovers from 100 yards to about 925 yards.

very accurate observation as well as your own personal experience. Thanks for your comments.

As to the reason why I conducted the test first establishing a 300 yard zero, on page #8, i explain my reasoning for doing so. It was my intent based upon personal knowledge of managing maximum ordinate for muzzle to 300, that it was best suited for my weapon MK 14 EBR.

Also, in my estimation of a very defined BETA, the stated objective was to determine "repeatabiltiy" of the H-58, where by I did not want to test each stadia per a computer (my EBR would not be suited for this) data sheet, but to more appropriately, test engagement time to targets over KD range with no previous DOPE.

Along with a stable and measurable platform (MODSOP), I could attempt to determine just how efficient the "concept" of the targeted grid of the H-58 truly was.

As for your observation, "establishing a 100 yard/meter zero", you are absolutely correct in order to begin calibrating each stadia for computer data.

thank you again!